ID this Mutant Kingsnake ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
viper69
ID this Mutant Kingsnake ?

A friend of mine has this king. I'm not a king expert at all. I'd like to know what mutation/s this snake has, and what generates it. For example, if it's a lavender albino, what does the lavender part mean?

It certainly is an albino, but I can't determine what type of normal king snake pattern this would be (ie Cal King, banded black and white etc), nor if it's more than an albino.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
WebSlave
Well, it looks like an amelanistic California king, but the dorsal pattern looks like there might be some splendida thrown into the mix. But been a LONG time since I worked with any kings....

These days anything and everything is possible in the genetic mixes floating around.

Oh, and as for the "lavender" part, if I remember correctly, the more brownish and yellow examples of normally colored Cal kings would tend to produce the more lavender looking amelanistics.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
viper69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Well, it looks like an amelanistic California king, but the dorsal pattern looks like there might be some splendida thrown into the mix. But been a LONG time since I worked with any kings....

These days anything and everything is possible in the genetic mixes floating around.

Oh, and as for the "lavender" part, if I remember correctly, the more brownish and yellow examples of normally colored Cal kings would tend to produce the more lavender looking amelanistics.

Yea, the dorsal pattern is what is throwing me off. It doesn't remind me of a normal phase Cal king (banded, black and white)...Something I just don't know anything about clearly

Old 05-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
viper69
It reminds of a lavender banana albino kingsnake from what I googled on the web, but I don't know.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
DISCERN
That circular pattern " could " mean splendida in the mix. They do intergrade in the wild with splendida, so that combined with the albino part of it, that may be it. Just my guess?

Does your friend have any knowledge on the background?

I am all for having snakes lean with good body weight, but man, your friend needs to feed that poor thing!! Way too skinny!!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
viper69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
That circular pattern " could " mean splendida in the mix. They do intergrade in the wild with splendida, so that combined with the albino part of it, that may be it. Just my guess?

Does your friend have any knowledge on the background?

I am all for having snakes lean with good body weight, but man, your friend needs to feed that poor thing!! Way too skinny!!

How can you tell? It's not mine nor am I nearby to check it.

How much should a king of that size eat? I only have boas and pythons so this is out of my league haha

Old 05-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
DISCERN
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper69 View Post
How can you tell? It's not mine nor am I nearby to check it.

How much should a king of that size eat? I only have boas and pythons so this is out of my league haha
HAHA!! No worries my friend!
Without seeing it firsthand, it is hard to say how much or what size food items it should be eating. The thing that concerned me was its' backbone showing.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Pasodama
I will throw in my 2 cents, and agree with others, that it sure looks like it could be an amelanistic California x Splendida. 'Course, without knowing its background, etc., it is just a guess based on its pattern.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
viper69
Could it be a lavender banana albino ? regarding color moprhs?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Peligro22
I agree with the amelanistic californiae x splendida intergrade. I have one myself (non amel) and this patterning is basically exactly what he would look like if he was amel.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!