Coping with freezing weather - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Lucille
Coping with freezing weather

It doesn't often get really, really cold where I live but right now it is 28 degrees outside
Here is my list of how to cope, add your own ideas:

Several large warm dogs lying on one's feet.
Warm casseroles or soups on the menu
Several good movies to watch
Keeping the house toasty warm so the pipes don't freeze.
Ordering seeds and making plans for the garden for spring.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
deedeeiam
At 28 degrees....I might put on some shoes when I go outside to check the mail. ;p

Honestly, this time of year just calls for preparation. I always make sure I have gas for the generator and ensure I have a plan for the critters - consolidating small enclosures within larger ones, backup water, etc.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
JColt
-3 right now, -19 tonight. High of 1 tomorrow then -4 at night with heat wave of 25 Wen.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
JColt
^^^^^^

Does not include windchill factor

Old 01-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post

Old 01-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
rcarichter
We haven't made it up to zero yet today.

Noelle

Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
WebSlave
And here I am just worrying about the temps on Tuesday where they are predicting only a high of 37 and a low overnight of 18. Connie and I were just outside covering the citrus trees with tarps for tonight, as it's supposed to get down to 23 degrees.

Can you all imagine how bad this would be if we weren't suffering through global warming right now? I guess the government has saved us after all....

Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Can you all imagine how bad this would be if we weren't suffering through global warming right now? I guess the government has saved us after all....
Global Warming was always a bad choice of words, it's climate change, doesn't mean the world is getting hotter. All weather will be more severe.

Aaaaanyways... you guys should come join us in lovely CA. Sure the population is crazy, our politics are insane and the rent is high but the lows are mid 40s and highs 55-60. Come, enjoy!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Aaaaanyways... you guys should come join us in lovely CA. Sure the population is crazy, our politics are insane and the rent is high but the lows are mid 40s and highs 55-60. Come, enjoy!
gotta love the bay area. Most of the time I don't even need to heat the house at all. I guess I can no longer complain about how 65 degrees is frigid, lol. Personally, I still prefer ball python temps though... I think I will go sit in the snake room and read.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
deedeeiam
I didn't even know my car HAD a negative sign for the thermometer.

The most annoying thing about this cold front is that my dog's Hi Tech dog door won't slide up when it's -5 out and feels like -25. So archaic...having to stand up and let the dog out manually.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!