Lyre Snake Care - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-29-2006, 01:42 AM   #11
aliceinwl
He (I actually don't know the sex) was collected outside of Anza. I don't have the exact location handy. When I peeked at him this week, it didn't look like he was shedding so I thought I might have been mistaken and offered him a frog scented pinky with a skink tail in the mouth; it was refused. This morning, however, there was a shed wrapped around his hide so maybe that was the problem after all.

-Alice

Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
aliceinwl
No sign of the two pinkies a la skink tail I placed on top of his log tonight.

-Alice

Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 AM   #13
Dennis Hultman
Thumbs up Great!

That’s really good to hear.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #14
aliceinwl
Another update

This week, I took a frozen, thawed washed pinky and rubbed it thoroughly on my live western skink, the skink deposited some "pee" on the pinky during the process. I placed the pinky on top of the bark slab. A few hours later it was gone

He's a very nervous little snake, if he catches me looking at him while he's out, he buzzes his tail and shoots under the bark slab. Fortunately, he's never tried to bite. I'm still making every attempt to keep disturbance to a minimum. Hopefully, he keeps eating for me, and if he'll take scented consistently that would be even better.

I posted some questions about lyres on KS and one of the responders said that he'd had good luck feeding them pinkys scented with a frozen skink or anole. He would set the lyres up in a shoe box size enclosure, on newspaper, with a tight hide and place the pinky at the entrance. He felt that substrates like aspen interfeared with the lizard scent (my aspen bag had been sitting around open for ~ a year so it wasn't too smelly). He'd successfully converted multiple lyres to rodents using this method. I figured I'd repost it here in case someone else looking for acclimation information on lyres ends up perusing this thread.

-Alice

Old 07-08-2006, 03:50 AM   #15
Dennis Hultman
Congratulations! Looks like you have him on the right track to converting to rodents. Hopefully, he keeps taking them.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #16
aliceinwl
Last week I offered a pre-killed washed, unscented pinky and it was refused so I rubbed it on the skink again and it disappeared quickly. Tonight I again offered a pre-killed washed unscented, and it quickly disappeared. My skink will be a happier camper if this continues

-Alice

Old 07-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #17
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinwl
Last week I offered a pre-killed washed, unscented piny and it was refused so I rubbed it on the skink again and it disappeared quickly. Tonight I again offered a pre-killed washed unscented, and it quickly disappeared. My skink will be a happier camper if this continues

-Alice
Yeah!! That’s great to hear! Did you sex “him” yet?

Old 10-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #18
bluerosy
I have successfullyn kept several w/c lyers over the years. All of mine ate unsecented small mice. The Lyers I had kept originated from the Palm Springs area and Borrgo area in Calif.

Try this. Put a box stuffed with cardboard in the cage. These snakes love to press themselves in tight crevices. By jamming themselves into a cereal box (or other box) like this they will feel secure and probably eat anything in front of them... Or at least in front of their box at night

Old 10-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #19
aliceinwl
Did your lyres take unscented mice right off the bat? What kind of longevity and growth rate did you notice with yours?

Ever since mine took his first unscented, he has not required any additional scenting and has been readily taking his weekly rodent meal. He does not seem to be a fast grower. But, he's turned into an easy keeper and an interesting addition.

I feed him mostly pre-killed or frozen/thawed, but when I have offered live, he does constrict. Although I don't handle him much, he seems to tolerate it well and has never threatened or tried to bite (I thought I read somewhere that they were "nippy"?). He does a great tail buzz when disturbed.

-Alice

Old 09-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #20
Brakes For Snakes
I know I'm resurrecting an ancient thread here but as a new keeper of a w/c California Lyre snake I'm seriously scratching my head as to why there is so little information about captive husbandry on these stunning snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!