60 venomous snakes found in Hendersonville NC mobile home - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
dzoo
60 venomous snakes found in Hendersonville NC mobile home

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/152...le-mobile-home

watch the video, the woman at around 1:10 is great lol..... if you google "Walter Kidd" snakes looks like he had some pretty high end venomous morphs, gilas etc.......

Quote:
HENDERSONVILLE, NC (FOX Carolina) -
Around 60 snakes, most of which are venomous, were found inside a single trailer.
Henderson County and Wildlife Rescue Commission crews spent all day Friday removing them, after the owner was bitten.
"When you're dealing with something that is deadly poisonous, speed is not the primary concern, safety is the primary concern," said Henderson Sheriff's Office Capt. Jerry Rice.
Neighbors of Walter Clarence Kidd say they watched the crews carry out at least 60 snakes from his trailer.
Capt. Rice said a Henderson County Sheriff's Office follow-up investigation began after Pardee Hospital reported an exotic snake bite. He said investigators.......

Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
RoadHouse of Retics
I wonder what he was bit by?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Piratepythons
He was bitten by a Vipera ammodytes (spelling?). He is a member of a venomous forum I am a member of and a bite report is posted on there. I hadnt heard about his animals being seized though.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Alex G
WOW! Carol Breedlove sure looks like a "Face of Meth".

Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
pythonjim
How was that kid not taken into custody by Child Protection Services? That "Rat-tail" hair cut is an obvious sign of neglect......

Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
pythonjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex G View Post
WOW! Carol Breedlove sure looks like a "Face of Meth".
C'mon, she had a full set of teeth....its just that half of them were in her pocket

Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
dzoo
Awww.. Be nice to poor Carol she didn't ask to have a staring role in the sequel "Snakes...In a Trailer Park"

Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
radera5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonjim View Post
How was that kid not taken into custody by Child Protection Services? That "Rat-tail" hair cut is an obvious sign of neglect......
That is probably the funniest thing I have ever read....WoW. Thanks for the laugh

If I wasn't already in the negative with Karma... I would send you some. I am working my way back up though

Snakes in a trailer park! That is pretty funny too

Now everyone if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all!!!.........but where is the fun in that?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
reptile-phan
well we shouldn't be laughing. this is just going to affect our community in a negative way. even if your a hot keeper or not. For all we know Animal planet is going to do a show on this or mention it in some way to be negative. PETA or some other organization is going to stick their heads up our butts again. sad really. wonder how many states are going to look at this incident and wonder oh maybe we should ban HOTS.... idk hope PA doesn't

Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
wcreptiles
If not charged, snake owner could get his ‘children' back.

Quote:
If not charged, snake owner could get his ‘children' back
By Gary Glancy
Times-News Staff Writer

Published: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 at 10:47 p.m.

Nearly 100 frozen dead reptiles were recovered by state and local authorities at the mobile home in eastern Henderson County last week where 60 snakes and lizards were seized, a report released Wednesday shows.

The report from the N.C. Museum of Sciences in Raleigh has been submitted to officials with the Sheriff's Office and the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission to assist in their joint investigation. The reptiles were seized after one of the snakes bit the owner, Walter Kidd of 25 Doe Trail.

Among the live species identified by the museum are 10 types of rattlesnakes, three species of cobras, five venomous Gila monster lizards and a Gaboon viper — the largest viper in the world at an average of 4 to 5 feet long and whose fangs can reach 2 inches in length.

Fifty-one of the 60 live reptiles found were venomous.

A passion for deadly snakes is displayed on Kidd's Facebook page, which features dozens of photos of venomous snakes in a photo album titled "My ‘Kids.'"

Many of the breeds of snakes that were seized are pictured in the photo album, including a Honduran milksnake, Trans-pecos copperhead and Timber rattlesnake. The description for the album reads, "These are some of my ‘children,' they are a lot easier to take care of than the so-called ‘normal kids!'"

It also appears Kidd is no stranger to venomous bites. Other photos depict one of Kidd's fingers black and swollen after being bitten by a copperhead in 1999. Another Facebook photo album shows several photos of a deep, infected hole on Kidd's forearm from a brown recluse spider bite. In the album's description, it reads, "Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor? 40 venomous snakes and I get bit by a spider!"

Calls to Kidd's cell phone by the Times-News on Tuesday and Wednesday were not returned.

Alvin Braswell, deputy director of operations at the museum in Raleigh, said the museum will continue to keep and care for the reptiles until a determination is made by law enforcement about whether criminal charges will be filed against Kidd.

If no charges are filed, Braswell said, the animals would be returned to Kidd. If Kidd is found to be in violation of the law, he added, the museum would keep the snakes.

Braswell said it's the largest seizure of reptiles the museum has received from law enforcement that he is aware of.

Reach Glancy at 828-694-7860 or gary.glancy@blueridgenow.com.
Copyright © 2011 BlueRidgeNow.com — All rights reserved. Restricted use only.
http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...news?p=1&tc=pg

Quote:
Neighbors worry not all snakes are gone
Police remove dozens of reptiles after owner bitten, hospitalized
By Gary Glancy
Times-News Staff Writer

Published: Monday, August 8, 2011 at 4:30 a.m.

It's likely Leon Early won't be walking around his property in flip-flops anytime soon, as he usually did before last week. Just the thought of a poisonous snake slithering through the grass is enough to give him the creeps.

Early lives about 100 yards from a mobile home in the Fruitland area of eastern Henderson County where authorities Friday removed dozens of venomous snakes. The highly dangerous reptiles — some of which Sheriff Rick Davis said had no known antivenin — were found when deputies from the Sheriff's Office Animal Enforcement Division and agents from the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission executed a search warrant at 25 Doe Trail, where the homeowner, 51-year-old Walter Kidd, had been bitten by one of the snakes.

About 60 snakes, many of them exotic and very deadly, Davis said, were seized, in addition to several dead snakes.

“I'm still nervous about it,” Early said Sunday. “I know they said they got all of them, but I don't know if they did or not. They could be underneath that trailer somewhere. I just hope and pray they got all of them.”

Early said that because residents in the small trailer community mostly keep to themselves, he had no idea there were snakes being kept in Kidd's home.

Carol Breedlove, on the other hand, who lives two doors down from Kidd, said she was aware Kidd had reptiles in the home, but didn't have a clue there were so many and that they were poisonous.

“My understanding was they had a couple of boa constricters,” Breedlove said. “We thought that was it.”

Until, that is, she and her 9-year-old grandson, Delon — who lives with Breedlove — watched Friday as law enforcement officers carried one exotic creature after another out the door.

“We saw a black rattlesnake and a red snake, and we heard (Kidd) had cobras,” Breedlove said. “From my understanding, they didn't know what most of them was.”

Capt. Jerry Rice with the Sheriff's Office said Saturday it would likely be a few days before any determination was made with regard to criminal charges in the case, which still is under investigation.

Breedlove said Kidd was bitten weeks ago and that he was airlifted to a hospital in Columbia, S.C. She said she has not seen him at the mobile home since the incident. She also said that between work and visiting a girlfriend in another part of the county, Kidd was rarely home, so she did not know him at all.

“I guess you don't know who you're living next to no more,” Breedlove said. “It about shocked me when I seen all the law (enforcement) here.”

Breedlove did recall an incident in which she and her grandson spotted several empty aquariums against Kidd's trailer while Breedlove and her landlord were trying to round up a dog that had run into Kidd's backyard. At the time they didn't think anything of it, but the memory made young Delon Breedlove worry about what could have happened.

”If they got loose,” he said of the snakes, “it would be a disaster.”
Copyright © 2011 BlueRidgeNow.com — All rights reserved. Restricted use only
http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...01?tc=obinsite
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!