Male breeding size question - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Double B Reptiles
It can happen. Totally on the boat with Ernest though about BELs. My lesser boy this year bred at 6 1/2 months and 350 grams. He went on a 1 month fast and dropped down to around 300 and kept breeding. After that fast, he learned that he liked to eat while breeding, and by the time he quit breeding got up to 550gs. All depends on the individual animal though really. Try introducing a few times, and if he goes for it, do it, just make sure you watch his weight, because younger animals can't go as long without eating as an adult, and still maintain a healthy weight.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
FireStorm
How big are your females? There's no such thing as a guarantee that any male will breed (although proven breeders come closest), so it can be tough if you only have one male. My YB male took 3 years to breed, and he was a yearling when I bought him. On the other hand, my Pastel bred at 7 mos and 400g. I also had a friend who had a Pied that sired 3 clutches and was at 300g (he kept eating and gained weight while breeding). It really is an individual thing...

I will say I wouldn't recommend sacrificing quality to get something that will breed sooner. Good luck with whatever you decide

Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
plumbergreg
If I was you I'd get the vanilla pastel and then you still have time, breeder males are easy to come by. You can always pick something up by winter. Fauna classifieds and kingsnake are loaded with proven and or males with size and if people are sitting on them prices tend to go down. Get the beautiful male and then you can still have a back-up plan... If not send me the link, I'll wait.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
scratchypen
Ive noticed it really depends on how the male eats in the first couple months which determines if he will be an early breeder or not. My mojave male eats like a female ball python would and he was ready to be paired well before 6 months if memory serves me right. However, any males I have had that want to eat like they are a boy, never make it to breeding their first year and even sometimes not even their second year or third. Sucks, but, sadly true. If you want a certainty, invest in a proven breeder, otherwise, no knowing when your male (or even female) will be ready. They decide that ya know. Lol.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Araidia
well i'm gonna pass on him for now and pick up an older combo male. So many people are working with vanilla's now i should be able to find a nice one next year, I really want a lemon pastel vanilla, that should look awesome.
He is on breederscircle.com by the way if anyone is interested. He's nice and clean, I would have picked him up in a heartbeat if he was a bit bigger lol.

Anyone have any idea's on what to get? I have a $1500 budget

I have a fire, pastel, yb, and spider. Maybe a pastel enchi male? What combos would you try?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!