Blandings turtle not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Tom Trout
Blandings turtle not eating

My blandings turtle, 10 inches ling and female, which I obtained in July was eating good (worms, feeder goldfish). About two weeks ago she started biting her food but she wouldn't eat it. I had dead goldfish, with bite marks. She is very slow and keeps her head in her shell most of the time. I put an light bulb at her basking site hoping that would help. I keep her in a large childs swimming pool. I checked her eyes. She did have a slight discharge from her right eye but after cleaning and a few eye drops that cleared up. This was a turtle that right out of the mailing box was eating and very active. In less than six weeks, I am worried if whe is going to make it. Thanks for any advice. Tom

Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
LauraB
Blandings are semi terrestrial species and in nature inhabit bogs, marshes and shallow lakes with heavy aquatic vegetation, logs, and easy access to the soggy, vegetated land masses they prefer.

At 10", your female is likely mature and should be kept in shallow water with PLENTY of room, like an enclosure of a couple hundred gallons, and access to a boggy/marshy and vegetated land area at one end of the pool.

I feed my adult turtles commercial pellets as well as live and vegetation ... try some Mazuri or ReptoMin pellets.

I'm no expert, but I believe Blandings prefer water temps below 80 degrees. Sorry I can't offer any more help. I only have aged Mud/Musk/YB and RE. They all eat pellets, Romaine, minnows, crayfish, shiners and they all love ghost shrimp and blood worms. They've all ignored goldfish for many years, for whatever reasons (blast them, because goldfish are so much cheaper, LOL)

I do hope she improves.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Tom Trout
Sorry about the late reply
I ended up taking the turtle to a wonderful vet in Nashville who did a great job saving my turtle. She had an infection where the hinge moves next to the carapace. It was just a small hole on the outside but had really a bad infection inside . Ten days of baytril, and some type of silver compound. She healed. I have not been a great supporter of vets but this guy really knew his stuff. Thanks for the pointers but the bottom line is when your Turt or tort is sick, get a good reptile vet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
not eating