Male Coastal Rosy Won't Eat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
AdamR
Male Coastal Rosy Won't Eat

Hey, I have an adult Male rosy that several weeks ago went off feed. At first I wasn't concerned but now he is getting thin. He began to strike and wrap up but still would not eat the mice. Now a few weeks forward he has begun to actually eat, but will regurgitate the mouse each time. I am becoming worried as he is getting thin. He was always a very good eater before this. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
AdamR
Bueller?

No rosy people around?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
pequeno
I would say take this question to localityrosys(dot)com it could be lots of things , my males just went off food but it is the beginning of rosy breeding in california.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
lovin2act
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequeno View Post
I would say take this question to localityrosys(dot)com it could be lots of things , my males just went off food but it is the beginning of rosy breeding in california.
I have been going through similar to the OP, my young male is barely over 2 feet and went off feed in March. He wont even look at any food offerings now. I thought he was too young for breeding season to affect him but maybe I am wrong? He looks healthy and has not lost weight, and he is always out looking about. So I guess I shouldn't be so worried I am hoping?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
AdamR
Well after lots of searching and research, which there isn't much available on these, it seems that perhaps he is a victim of a common regurging issue among rosies. Hopefully he will keep his strength enough to pull through but I'm not sure. I'm not going to offer any good for a few weeks to help build his stomach enzymes back up. He is still relatively small but could have bred this year, which I certainly won't be doing in his current state. I've found that this can become fatal for them if they do not, in a reasonable amount of time, finally eat and fully digest a meal. I'll update when I find more info or if his condition changes.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
AdamR
Forgot to add: it seems that a few doses of Flagil will clear this up and convince them to eat but I haven't found any dosage amounts or verification that this actually works.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
pequeno
there is alot of info on site I recommended, also when you start feeding him again start with very small meals. and the less you mess with him the better as rosys get stressed out very easily. they can be very temperamental with even small changes in their cage. I have kept and bred them for over 7 years and still haven't figured them out completely.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
AdamR
Marc, Sorry I didn't mean to ignore you last time! I did go to that site and that's where I found most of this information. It is a very good site for the species.

Final Update: Fed male rosy a fuzzy mouse last night. He regurgitated this morning and died.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
spoonersgirl
Sorry for your loss : (

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!