Chinese coronavirus - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Would you like to opt out of the Google and InfoLinks ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 02-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #121
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
So... I might FINALLY have a reason to dip into my Y2K stash...
LOL, the outside of my Y2K cans are getting a little rusty by now, but the insides are still bright and shiny.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #122
Lucille
Coronavirus Live Updates: U.S. Officials Warn Americans to Brace for Likely Outbreak
New outbreaks in Asia, Europe and the Middle East are renewing fears of a coming global pandemic, even as the spread in China appears to be slowing.

RIGHT NOW“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” a C.D.C. official said.

I personally feel like there is going to be a tremendous surge in crime as people stop getting paychecks because they are too ill to work and they have no food or supplies. Spouses and relatives are going to put food on the table any way they can.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #123
Insomniac101
This just keeps getting better!

https://ijr.com/harvard-professor-po..._hsmi=83858565

Old 02-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #124
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Coronavirus Live Updates: U.S. Officials Warn Americans to Brace for Likely Outbreak
New outbreaks in Asia, Europe and the Middle East are renewing fears of a coming global pandemic, even as the spread in China appears to be slowing.

RIGHT NOW“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” a C.D.C. official said.

I personally feel like there is going to be a tremendous surge in crime as people stop getting paychecks because they are too ill to work and they have no food or supplies. Spouses and relatives are going to put food on the table any way they can.
It will not only be that people are too sick to go to work. Their work might just go away. Lots of companies relying solely on Chinese imports for their merchandise are going to probably wind up in a real bad way when their current stock runs out. Or some critical equipment could break down and they find that replacement parts just are not available.

Things could get ugly.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #125
Socratic Monologue
I tried to find the least biased source for this story; hope I did OK:

https://www.ft.com/content/9f57c140-...8-dd0f971febbc

This is the part that may be worrying: "Further criticism of Mr Pence emerged on Thursday after the New York Times reported that he had instructed officials to clear public statements on the coronavirus with his office, to prevent mixed messages about the seriousness of the situation from different arms of the administration."

Old 02-28-2020, 01:26 AM   #126
WebSlave
Quote:
Subscribe to the FT to read: Financial TimesMike Pence’s role as US coronavirus overseer draws backlash
Alas, I am not going to subscribe to them just to read an article.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #127
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Alas, I am not going to subscribe to them just to read an article.
Huh. The first time I read that article (linked from Google news), there was no paywall. There is now. Sorry about that.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 PM   #128
LauraB
Yeah, I just tried the link as well. If I gotta pay, it ain't unbiased or neutral, in my worthless opinion, lol.
Is there even such a thing anymore ... unbiased or real news facts? "Facts" being the key word.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #129
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Is there even such a thing anymore ... unbiased or real news facts? "Facts" being the key word.
Yes, there are. The facts haven't changed; we have changed.

I had a hard time finding a source that wouldn't draw the attention to Pence, rather than to the more interesting issue of elected officials filtering public statements from federal agencies. Perhaps a better source to cite would have been Orwell's 1984, I guess. Or the career of Xi Jinping, maybe. This isn't a remotely new issue, and is not unique to any administration, but it sucks whoever does it.

I guess the good news is that information is going to come out through unofficial channels, given how the flow of information works nowdays, as well as from other experts with no direct federal affiliation.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #130
WebSlave
The volcanic eruption of Mt. Pelee is pretty interesting concerning how the local "authorities" handled the emergence of the disaster.

Quote:
The Devastation Of Mount Pelee, The Worst Volcanic Disaster Of The 20th Century

By Mark Oliver
Published July 11, 2017
Updated December 21, 2018

In less than a minute, the eruption of Mount Pelee wiped out the whole city of St. Pierre. Only three people made it out alive.

The eruption of Mount Pelee was the worst volcanic disaster of the 20th century. In less than a minute, the volcano eviscerated the entire city of St. Pierre, the biggest city in the Caribbean island of Martinique. More than 30,000 people died — and only three made it out alive.

In the days leading up to May 8, 1902, the volcano had been smoking and emitting vapors for days before the eruption, but locals had seen it do this before. Most thought there was no reason to worry — until a cloud of ash descended onto the city.

As it then became likely that Mount Pelee would soon erupt, panic quickly grew in the city below. Some fled, running as far out of the city as they could before the volcano could erupt.

The papers, though, still assured the people that it was safe to stay. Some were even denied permission to leave — and so thousands of people stayed, right up until the moment that the volcano rained devastation upon them.

Then, on May 8, as the people below celebrated the feast of Christ’s ascension into heaven, a gigantic mushroom cloud filled the sky. A cloud of ash surged over the city, glowing with an incredible heat of nearly 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. In less than 60 seconds, the entire city was destroyed.

People burned to death on the spot, some so quickly that they didn’t even feel a second of pain. Others felt their blood start to boil and tried to run, collapsing under pumice and hot ash with twisted, agonizing screams permanently held on their faces. The city itself burst into flames and, across Martinique, a soft snow of white ash fell from the sky.

There were only three survivors. A ten-year-old girl named Havivra Da Ifrile managed to get into a boat and row to shelter inside of a cave until rescue came. Léon Compère-Léandre, after seeing the people around him falling down dead, leaped into the boiling hot ocean. His whole body was covered in burns, but he managed to make it out alive.

The other survivor was a violent criminal, Louis-Auguste Cyparis. He was locked in solitary confinement in a stone cell when the volcano erupted, which, by chance, put him in the safest place in the city. As the city burned, Cyparis waited, his body covered in burns, for rescue. He spent four days in a burning city before the city around him cooled down enough for a relief team to come in and pull him out alive.

The rest, though, were not so lucky. Every other person in St. Pierre died in an instant, wiped out in a blanket of ash and volcanic pumice — victims of the worst volcanic disaster of the 20th century.
SOURCE: https://allthatsinteresting.com/mount-pelee

So yeah, government cannot be trusted to know everything concerning your own personal well being and safety. Trust your own instincts rather than relying on government or the mainstream media to tell you what you need to do and when you need to do it.

IMHO.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!