Most dry tolerant monitor lizard - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Monitors

Notices

Old 06-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
Dougie3090
Question Most dry tolerant monitor lizard

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas of a monitor lizard that requires the least humidity? I'm planning to build an outdoor enclosure in Tucson AZ. It would be spacious with open basking areas/shaded areas and a heated hide box for the winter. I will have some sort of misting system set up as well.

Biggest lizard I can find literature on is the Chuckwalla, which I will probably have one of those as well but I've always dreamed of having a little dinosaur as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
Blaze72170
Um no! Nile monitors are just basically African water monitors you will only mainly find them near rivers try sand monitors maybe even Argus monitors look into Australian species

Old 06-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze72170 View Post
Um no! Nile monitors are just basically African water monitors you will only mainly find them near rivers...
True, but I don't see where did he said "nile"?
Quote:
...try sand monitors maybe even Argus monitors look into Australian species
These two came to mind for me too.

They discuss routinely keeping their larger goannas (Sand (Gould's), Argus, Lace & Spencers) outside over at the 'Aussie Pythons & Snakes' forum. Not all areas of Australia have weather allowing this, but many do. Check your climate against theirs. You'll have to learn some Australian...

The most readily available of these here in the states is the Argus, or a hybrid Argus x Sand. Quite a few Lace Monitors trade here, but they are one of the more expensive forms, especially Bells phase. See a Sand Monitor for sale once in a great while, but seldom see a Spencers.

If you can be happy with a smaller form (<25-30") Ackies are also from dry areas. Ackies are popular pets and there is a lot of care information around. *True* 'Topender' Ackies are generally the largest of the three Ackie sub-species.

They will ALL need access to drinking/bathing water and a way to burrow down to gain both humidity and to escape heat when necessary. Many/most monitors use burrows to thermoregulate, especially the desert monitors.

If monitors are kept too dry and cannot find a humid hide, they often develop shed issues where toes and tail tips become damaged by retained sheds.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #4
Blaze72170
Someone had answered the op suggesting Nile monitors but the post has since disapeared

Old 06-14-2021, 03:12 AM   #5
ReyesReptilesandStuff
Ackies would be a great choice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
monitor lizard