72-Year-Old Man arrested for 300-Year-Old Antique Gun In New Jersey - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
Dennis Hultman
72-Year-Old Man arrested for 300-Year-Old Antique Gun In New Jersey

Prison For 72-Year-Old Man Who Had 300-Year-Old Antique Gun In New Jersey

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...o-had-antique/

Quote:

Gordon VanGilder is a typically law-abiding citizen who is now facing 10 years in a New Jersey prison. That would make him 82-years-old by the time he gets out, if convicted.

What was his crime? The elderly man was arrested for having a 300 year old, antique flintlock pistol in the notoriously anti-gun state.

VanGilder is retired schoolteacher, and never gets in trouble with the law. His attorney explains that the 72-year-old was transporting an unloaded mid-1700s firearm in his vehicle.

“Beware of New Jersey,” the retired school teacher said. “This is overreach, for sure.”

Great job to the New Jersey police and politicians for getting another 300-year-old, antique, flintlock pistol out of the hands of 72-year-old gang-bangers.

It starts with politicians telling us they are passing laws to “protect the children.” It ends up with with your grandpa in jail for possession of an antique flintlock pistol.

A crowdfunding page has been set up for VanGilder’s defense here: http://gogetfunding.com/project/van-...l-defense-fund

Elderly New Jersey Man Facing Felony For 18th Century Flintlock!

http://politibrew.com/culture/1886-e...tury-flintlock
Quote:
2-17-15 10:25 AM EST: An unloaded antique flintlock pistol. It was wrapped in a cloth and in his automobile's glove box. He wasn't arrested right there, but was arrested and taken away in handcuffs the very next morning.
-------------------------------------------
Man, 72, faces 10 years in prison for antique pistol: ‘Beware of New Jersey’

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...n-prison-for-/
Quote:
Gordon Van Gilder, a 72-year-old retired schoolteacher in New Jersey, faces a 10-year prison sentence for possessing an unloaded 18th-century flintlock pistol in his car.

Mr. Van Gilder, a collector of 18th-century memorabilia, said he had the gun unloaded and wrapped in a cloth in the glove compartment of his vehicle when he was pulled over in November by a Cumberland County sheriff’s deputy for a minor traffic violation, according to a video posted last week by NRA News.

After consenting to a search of his vehicle, Mr. Van Gilder said he alerted the deputy of the pistol in his glove box. The deputy let him go that night, but four police officers showed up at his home the next morning with an arrest warrant, he told NRA News.

“Beware of New Jersey. Don’t come here. Don’t live here,” Mr. Van Gilder said. “Here I am, a retired teacher coming out of his house in handcuffs, who had a flintlock pistol and now I’m charged as a felon. It’s unbelievable. It’s outrageous. It’s an insult to decent people.”

New Jersey’s gun laws explicitly include antique firearms, even though federal laws exempt them.

Evan Nappen, an attorney who specializes in gun law cases and is representing Mr. Van Gilder, says that even a plea agreement that avoids jail time but convicts Mr. Van Gilder of a felony would likely jeopardize his teacher’s pension he spent 34 years earning, Legal Insurrection reported.

It’s a mid-1700s flintlock bonafide antique pistol, unloaded, and yet he’s facing the same draconian penalty as if he had a .44 magnum loaded on his person. It doesn’t matter. There’s no distinction,” Mr. Nappen said.

Mr. Nappen said the prosecutor in the case even asked for ballistics testing on the black powder gun — an exercise that experts in the video argued is futile on such an old firearm.

Mr. Van Gilder said he refuses to spend what could be the rest of his life behind bars and declared he isn’t going to go down without a fight.

“I like to mind my own business and not bother anybody, but I have no choice here,” he said in the video. “I’ve been thrown to the lions, so I’m going to fight back. I want these people to know they’re messing with the wrong guy, because I know my rights and they’re not going to get away with this.”

Mr. Van Gilder said he has already made plans to move out of New Jersey once his legal troubles are over.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman

Old 02-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
Dennis Hultman
After watching that video I had to look it up because I didn't believe it but yes, it is a felony to own a slingshot in NJ.

Not only that but you need a FOID to purchase a a BB gun?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:43 AM   #4
WebSlave
I used to go snake hunting in the New Jersey pine barrens quite often when i lived in Maryland, but quite frankly, I would not even drive through that state ever again.

Hope the guy doesn't waste his retirement fund fighting the bone heads prosecuting him.

So keep this in mind, as this sort of nonsense is what the anti-gunners would like (and worse) for the entire rest of the USA.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
CraftingDreams
You know, I was born and raised South Jersey, and since Ive come back, I feel more and more ashamed of my own state when it comes to gun laws.

Its not 100% anti gun.. its anti protection..

The gun laws are some of the worst.. We can own a gun, however only in our home. The ONLY time we can transport a gun is in a locked case in the trunk, to the gun range and home. If you are caught driving off that past or just driving through NJ with a gun, even if you have a license, its jail time.

TWO people found this out the hard way... 1 man driving through because he was moving, and 1 single mother of 2 who had to come to NJ and while it was legal for her to conceal carry in PA (I believe she was from), it wasn't here. I don't remember if they actually gave her time, I didn't catch the ending if its even over.. but its crazy.

Its not just guns.. its mace/pepper spray, or any other item that can be considered a weapon that you would use to protect yourself.

Damsel in Defense I believe the company is called.. they literally have TWO types of kits.. one bit bag full of goodies you can get if you are NOT from NJ, and a seriously reduced kit for people from NJ.. LOL...

Its horrible, and I hang my head down in shame that our state is so bad with these laws.

Now if I can only move to Maine, I would be so much happier.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftingDreams View Post
You know, I was born and raised South Jersey, and since Ive come back, I feel more and more ashamed of my own state when it comes to gun laws.

Its not 100% anti gun.. its anti protection..
Yep. My home state of Maryland is the same way anymore. Dominated by hand-wringing liberals, like a junior high school Drama Club runs the state.
Quote:
Now if I can only move to Maine, I would be so much happier.
Be careful, Maine is right behind NJ, MD, CA, MA, etc. and is become more liberal all the time. Look at the way they voted last night...and not just favoring the criminal for the prez.

Maine is a beautiful state, but like many others, dominated by a few liberal population centers. As NJ and eastern PA are to New York City, being a "bedroom community" to DC has ruined MD and is well on its way to killing VA as we speak.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
CraftingDreams
ugh.. I really hope not... I was hoping to spend the rest of my days there. Lol

Maybe Maine needs more like us.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!