New uromastyx owner!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Kaitycup95
New uromastyx owner!!

I adopted a uromastyx, not sure what kind but I think it is a female Mali uromastyx, and I don't know what is wrong with her!! Every time I enter the room she freezes and won't move, even if I pick her up, she is prictically "dead"!! I don't ever see her out of her hide. I have her in a 40 gallon tank, with a UVB and heat light. Not sure of temps as I have to buy a temp gun! She DID try to bite me but didn't get me!! Lol!! I don't know how to make her more socialized, I have only had her since august 9th. Please someone help me, I really want her to be social!!

Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
My advice: Don't handle her unless completely necessary. You've barely had her 24 hrs for crying out loud. She is in a new environment (new smells, new colors, etc), and she is wiggin' out. Sounds completely normal for a new pet lizard of any species. Give her some time to get used to her surroundings (i.e. couple weeks), before starting to handle her on a routine basis.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
MDC_Ophiuchus
In the meantime, get a good thermometer so you can keep a close tab on those temps!

And Uros do hide a lot, especially when acclimating to a new habitat. Soon, she'll fall into a schedule of: wake up, bask for an hour or two, eat...then a back-n-forth cycle of basking & hiding for the rest of the day until the lights go out.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Kaitycup95
Thanks so much!!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
UwabamiReptiles
Just give her awhile to get used to her new surroundings. I had my uro for a few months before he got used to me handling him. The best thing is to do is to just do your daily cleanings and feedings and soon you'll notice that she'll start to perk up everytime she sees you. Just have patience, every uro i've ever had was tame it just takes time. Congrats on your new animal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!