Uromastyx Care - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
GreenTreePython13
Uromastyx Care

I'm considering getting a uro. I've done the research on them and everything, but I'd like to hear from actual uro owners about things that they've personally experienced or that aren't on your old run of the mill care sheet.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
defcon222
Don't use sand, use White millet. It's dirt cheap and it keeps everything nice and dry with no dust. Uro's are cage 're-decorators.' Don't get attached to your setup, because they will just knock everything over. I've found feeding to be interestig when you start. Each uro has his/her preference and sometimes are stubborn about it. I had one that would only eat carrots for the first 3 months, then I managed to get him to eat bok choi, spinnach, etc. You might need to try different types of food until they get used to you and then they'll accept pretty much anything.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
GreenTreePython13
thanks!!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
bigjej
I recently adopted a couple of uros as well ( Mali's/Saharans ) and had a couple of question. I've got the general husbandry down but the prior owners were feeding veggies/fruits and iguana chow ( which they actually didnt touch ). I've read about the proper diet, including millet, lentils and other seeds but nothing mentioned whether the seeds are fed whole and dry, ground, soaked or sprouted. can you comment?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
defcon222
I've heard some will soak and some will feed dry. I only feed greens, dusted with calcium, and mixed beans. I also mix in baby/juvie bearded dragon pellets (which they love) with the beans. They'll pick through and eat what they like.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
MDC_Ophiuchus
My Saharans loved dry seeds. My Egyptian hardly touches them.

Aside from that, he gets grated veggies and dark leafy greens, as well as beans...which he also, rarely touches.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
MDC_Ophiuchus
As far as stuff you won't find on your run-o'mill caresheets....

Make sure you have a wide temp gradient with a HOT basking spot. Try 120-140'F (thats basking surface temps, NOT ambient temps). Uros also like to hide warm. Provide plenty of shelters both on the hot and cool sides of the enclosure. They will bask, but you will just as often find them resting underneath something on the basking end.

When you get one, give it time to adjust to its new habitat. Don't handle it excessively for the first week. Uros can be quite shy at first; you have to let them get used to things on their own.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
turtleguy
what type of basking lamps are being used to get that 120 degree.Mercury vapor?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!