Am I Doing the Right Thing? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
jntreptiles
Am I Doing the Right Thing?

As a reptile breeder with over 20 years experience in the industry, I have found myself in a situation that I havent been in for many years. So, I know times have changed, and so have many of the standards and policies that govern our industry. So, I am asking for input as to whether I am handling this situation correctly, or am I behind in the times. LOL

The situation: I sold a baby (2012) ball python on January 19, 2012 at a show. The snake was a well established feeder and had eaten probably in excess of 15-20 times prior to me selling it. The "buyer" checked the snake a few time prior to purchase, and was explained to, how the snake had been kept in a baby rack, its requirements, and so on.

About 2 weeks after the purchase, I get an email, stating the snake has not yet eaten. I figure just the acclimation period. So after responding back, I find out that the "buyer" placed the snake in a 20 gallon long aquarium, with a full-time temperature of 75 degrees daytime/night time for the past 2 weeks. I inform them that I felt the enclosure was to large and that the temps are way to low, and there is no way that snake is going to feed.

They then decide to move the animal again into a 10 gallon, with daytime temps of about 82-84, but the night temps are still at 75 degrees, and the snake is still refusing to feed.

Long story short: I feel that the animal has not had a chance to acclimate to a new environment as it has been moved twice within a 19 day period to new enclosures, and was kept at sub-optimal temps. This is day 29. I have offered to exchange the animal for another of equal value, but not a cash refund.

AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING?

Thank You
Joe
JNT Reptiles

Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
AGoodwin
I think you are being more than reasonable. You cannot be held accountable for the customers lack of proper husbandry.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
As I told you on the phone, I think you are going above and beyond with the offer of the exchange despite the customer being at fault for poor husbandry. They not only admitted to inappropriately housing the snake (I am referring to the temperature situation, the enclosure size to me isn't as drastic of an issue), but they also refuse to correct the situation appropriately when you explained their husbandry deficiencies.

Personally, I wouldn't offer a refund or exchange. Neglect is neglect and exchanging the animal will just leave another in their hands to suffer. In addition, you are potentially bringing an animal back to your facility that you will then have to take the responsibility of nurturing back to health if he developed an RI while in their care.

I am certainly not being heartless about the animal's well-being verus the financial bottom line, but you can only do so much if a customer chooses not to listen to advice freely given.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Gloryhound
You are being too nice in my opinion. The person did not listen to you on day 1, that removes your responsibility. You see it all the time at shows, people buy snakes and never listen to even 1/2 of what the seller is telling them. They then come back to the seller complaining or even threatening.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
snowgyre
I had a similar situation arise with a customer two years ago over what is normally a bomb-proof species (leopard geckos). After two weeks the animal had gone downhill so quickly that I simply gave them the money back to bribe them into driving to town so I could rescue my animal from horrible care. I honestly didn't want to give them a refund they didn't deserve, but I had to hold the animal's best interest in mind above any business or financial interests I had. I agree, your customer deserves no refund, but sometimes you have to do what is best for the animal. Without a refund, it's unlikely they will return the animal to you.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
jntreptiles
Thank you to all that have responded with input. It looks as if all agree that I have been more then fair in this situation.

I think at this time, since I have already made the offer, I am going to stick to my word and offer an animal for exchange, with no cash refund. Then put the return animal in quarantine until its health has been determined.

I think that is a more then reasonable on my part at this time.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
E.Shell
My opinion is that a refund for the returned animal is the best and most expedient way to handle this.

1) Swapping snakes just jeopardizes snake #2, and also keeps you in the hot seat for liability. Do you expect a behavioral change in the buyer? Are you willing to swap snakes a second time? What happens when snake #2 becomes unsatisfactory or dies and you get that call or BOI post? You are thrown into the same decision making process you're enjoying now, right?

2) The 'bribe' factor cannot be overlooked, not only for the snake's benefit, but your business's as well.

Devil's Advocate: If I received a random snake from a stranger and used all my own ideas on husbandry (because I obviously know best and pythons DO love Cheetos) and that snake failed, I don't think I'd want a second sick snake from the same guy who sold me a defect to begin with. I'd personally respond much better/quicker to a refund than some dubious replacement that may show the same issues.

Business owner's perspective: Just refunding the money for the snake may be hard to do for any number of reasons, but just getting it back and clearing yourself from further liability and potential abuse is part of what you buy back too. You may ultimately see buying the snake back as the least costly option.

3) Getting the snake back is the priority. It is obvious it will not flourish in their care, ultimately leading to suffering. It is also likely that, should the snake die, you'd find yourself wasting additional time debating it's condition/causes/etc. with someone who obviously cannot listen.

FWIW, I too see you as going above and beyond your responsibility as a breeder/seller in even entertaining their communications after being defied on the care directions. It would be a pleasure doing business with you.

That said, your real concern is damage control at this point: Control the snake's suffering and preserve your reputation in the most efficient way possible.

I too am a business owner and I train people in three days blocks for a living. I take advance deposits to reserve the time and then collect full payment at commencement of classes. I always keep enough cash in the checking account to offer anyone whoever may grumble a full and immediate refund. I don't want to hear a bunch of whining or innuendos and I would rather make a full refund at the end of a three day session than to send anyone out of here with less than complete satisfaction, whether they deserve it or not. I have yet to feel compelled to dismiss anyone with a refund check, but I firmly believe I need to be prepared for that option.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!