Help, Leopard gecko not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Zippy
Help, Leopard gecko not eating

I hope this problem is easily rectified. I have a 6 month old gecko who mysteriously just stopped eating. I've been doing some reading and I think I have to change some things. I have sand in the bottom and most people recommend newspaper. The tank is at 70-75 degrees and has never been a problem. But, I'm reading maybe I need it warmer?? Also, she eats a lot of mealworms and I think it should be more crickets than mealworms, right??

Anyway, if someone could help......

It's been a week and I'm getting nervous. No vet in my area will see her!!!

Old 04-09-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
Allison161
Stop! Dont worry.. just need some small changes.

Yea you do need to change some stuff. I had to do the same thing. The local pet stores in my areas didnt know anything about leopard geckos they are jsut trying to get you to buy the cute little guys then you get addicted to em.

You need your heat lamp to be around 80-90 during the day on only one side of your tank so they can regulate there own temp adn move to where they are comfortable, and at night it shouldnt go below 70, . I just recently started using ultra fine playground sand for my gecko,He is big enough for that now., i think as long as they are 5 inches they are fine on ultra fine sand, but dont buy the pet stores calcium sand. But if you have a baby thats still really tiny sand isnt good because they will eat it and it will cause impaction. You need a shed box/ humidity box also that needs to have paper towels or peta moss that you have to wet often otherwise you gecko cant shed properly. They say that if your temp of the tank is too low you gecko will loss its appitte and will have trouble shedding. This could be your problem from not eating. Also you need to buy some calcium powder of some sort that needs to be left in the tank for them to lick when they need it. I had my gecko for almost a whole year before I found out i was doing things all wrong and had no idea. I wish the pet stores knew more about these guys adn told us what we really needed to know. If you change all this and your gecko still isnt eating. There are dropper feeding methods with special blends to help your gecko. If you have any questions feel free to email me at allison161@hotmail.com Marcia from Golden Gate Geckos is wonderful and has helped me when i have had problems and questions. She is on these forums quiet often and seems to know alot and is always friendly and willing to help if she can.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:29 AM   #3
montezuma
sand is a rock

Your best bet is using clean unprinted paper towels. You don't have the danger of ingestion as you do with ANY kind of sand. Calcium sand is the best bet if you do want to use sand since roughly 30% gets digested. My opinion (300+ breeders, 7 years experience) is bigger sand less problems. The geckos aren't trying to eat the sand, they are trying to lick it to get the nutrients. I have tried every type of marketed and unmarketed calcium sand, the best luck was always with the larger chunks.

Paper towels may not be pretty, but it's better than a impacted lizard!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!