IDENTIFY THIS TURTLE? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Tiger Lilly
IDENTIFY THIS TURTLE?

I found this in my yard...can someone tell me what type of turtle he was?
(I was taking pics of my snakes on the towel, and found him a bit later.)

Thanks for any info anyone can give.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Tiger Lilly
So, nobody has any idea on this?
WOW, did not see that coming...
Not even so much as a suggestion as to where to find out.
Color me disappointed!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
LauraB
Looks like a young Box from the top. It looks tiny, juding from the fabric it's on ... how big is it? What color are it's eyes?

Here's a male Box one of my dogs dug up in my backyard. It wasn't a baby, but does look somewhat similar (if you can see past the dirt lol)

Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Tiger Lilly
Well, it was a little bigger than the size of a 50 cent piece. It was also dead. Didn't have all the ridges like yours does, but since I know nothing of turtles, I don't know if they come with age or not. Also, from what I could see, the eyes looked black (do they change when the animal dies?). It had one foot sticking out and it was black.
I just want to know in case I find one alive, I'll know what it is & where to relocate it so it has a better chance of survival. This one, as you can see from the top, had no marks, cracks or anything anywhere to indicate that one of my dogs had gotten hold of it.
Any ideas on why such a young (?) turtle would perish?
Thanks for your response!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
LauraB
Oh, I didn't realize it was dead when you found it. Poor little thing

Hard to say how it died. Could have been anything from starvation to parasites to ants to even dropped by a predatory bird. My dogs dig up box and even musks from the back of the property. Usually they just bark to alert me and the turtles come to no harm, but I have a three-legged female Musk (I call her I-Lean) that I presume lost her little hind leg when my dog dug her up. She's been with me 5-6 years now. The others I just return to the woods or lake behind the house.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Tim Cole
I agree, looks like a Florida Box Turtle.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Tiger Lilly
Thanks, Tim! I googled Florida Box Turtle and came up with a photo of one that looked closest to what I found.
Thanks to both of you--I may have a new interest in turtles & tortoises just from finding that one little (unfortunately dead) turtle.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 AM   #8
jozzep
I know this is an old post......But just to clarify.
That was not a box turtle. It was a three striped mud turtle (aquatic)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!