Cheap Reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
immapizzabagel
Question Cheap Reptiles

So the title is a bit misleading.

Currently I'm keeping a bearded dragon, two crested geckos, and two AFTs. They're all just pets, no breeding.

I do absolutely have money to take care of them and they are well cared for.

I was thinking of adding something new to my collection maybe 3+ months down the road, once I'm working a second job (I'm a college student).

Question is what reptiles in your experience have been less expensive to care for? Not the initial cost of the animal, but supplies and continuous expenses in keeping.

And just so I'm being clear, I know this is not an inexpensive hobby. Trust me, I spent $250 on a vet visit for my crested gecko last month (a lot for anyone, but especially a student).

I would like to try keeping a species I'm not keeping right now. Preferably lizard, but I am interested in keeping a snake, too.

Thank you for your time! And please understand I'm not trying to be cheap, just would like to try a new species that's long term care will not be super expensive.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
BlueCrowned
I'm new to reptiles, but so far my Central American banded gecko is least expensive (6 crickets x 7 days a week for a hatchling) with my corn snake being second least expensive ($2 mouse x 4 days a month for a yearling). The corn will be fed less when she is older and will then be even less expensive to keep. I am also attempting to breed my own feeder mice.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
JButera
If you're willing to breed your own insects then any small to medium-ish insectivorous lizard would be inexpensive to keep.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
elena
Crested and gargoyle geckos are a good choice because they don't need UVB or much heat, and can be kept in inexpensive sterilite containers found at target.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
bcr229
Since you already have AFT's then a leopard gecko is almost the same, they just don't the humidity to be quite as high. They do need heat but not the UV lighting so they do well in racks.

For snake I would suggest a Savu python. Even as adults they really only need mice as feeders, and my three and four year olds are rattling around in 28-qt tubs in a rack, I don't think they'll ever need an upgrade. As with any other liasis they can be defensive and flighty as babies but mine are all easily handled now.

If you're more interested in a colubrid then a male milk or king snake is also easy to keep.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
cornchips
Unfortunately all animals cost when it comes to vet care, which sucks. But I think the cresteds are the cheapest of all. A big bag of CGD and it will last forever. No heat, no insects(maybe for treats), easy peasy. Maybe a Gargoyle gecko(same care as cresties I think). Or leopard geckos of course.. What about a frog? I think a Whites tree frog would be cool.Ive always wanted one.
As far as snakes, check how much mice and rats are where you live and then decide what you want...A nice Hognose or sand boa would be relatively cheap to feed, especially a male, small mice once a week.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:49 AM   #7
elena
Purchasing an adult male rosy boa might be a good idea. My adult males don't feed as often as the females, and don't feed at all for months during brumation. I keep mine in plastic containers that I bough for around $15, and the only modification I had to make was drilling air holes A quality heat pad that won't need replacement, aspen or carefresh bedding that only really needs to be changed 1-2 times a month, a couple of cardboard or plastics boxes or paper towel roll tubes for hides, and a little water bowl. Of the subspecies I keep, I find that the gracia (desert rosy boa) stay smaller and therefor eat cheaper food, as opposed to the slightly more robust roseofusca (coastal). My gracia eat small-medium mice, whereas the roseofusca are eating large mice. Rosy boas are also an inexpensive breeding project, since their live birth does not necessitate an incubator, and litter sizes are small, so fewer mouths to feed.

Most of these things are also true for a second species I work with, east African sand boas (KSB). In this species, the size difference between the sexes is even more pronounced, and while most of my animals are young, a friend who has been keeping KSB for decades told me that most of her adult males only eat every other month, and maintain their weight, body condition and fertility. The things I've said about feeding only apply to adult animals. It is important for growing animals to be fed more frequently. That is why I said you might want to start with an adult.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
immapizzabagel
Wow, thank you all so much for the great responses! Bcr229, I looked up the Savu python and they are really pretty/cool looking snakes. Someone at a herp expo told me Woma pythons and balls are not too expensive to keep. I haven't begun to research snakes too much yet, so I'm not sure if that's true. Cornchips and Elena, the gargoyles are something I've been thinking about for a while. I'm friends with Wally Kern at Supreme Gecko (I don't know if you know him or have heard of him). He breeds a lot of species, but he's got some really beautiful bright red gargoyles. I really want to get a reptile I can do a display tank with that has beautiful bright colors (one day), even just a cool morph. One of my AFTs is a normal and the other one is oreo 50% het for Zulu (I've thought of breeding him one day). But as you guys probably know the AFTs mostly go from one hide to another and back again. I think I'll definitely look into the rosy boas and Savu more. Oh and Cornchips I love the idea of a frog. A few frogs in a nice terrarium could make a great display tank. I read on Josh's Frogs some dart frog species are inexpensive to keep if you get a bioactive tank going (I think bioactive is the right word). I need to do more research though.... Ah, there's so many reptiles and only so much money and then only so much space. I do think I'm going to start breeding my own dubia colony soon, though. I'm moving into an apartment in the summer, but parents are not too pleased with the idea of roaches in the house now. My soon-to-be roommate thought a planted aquarium in the main room would be cool, so I said maybe I could do a reptile or amphibian tank instead, which we thought would be neat. But I might end up just going with something else that would go on a rack in my bedroom and figuring out a display tank later. Thanks again everybody for taking the time to respond to my question!

Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #9
Synchronixe
Maybe a carpet python? I have a juvenile diamond jungle. All i did was buy 2 hides and a water dish (using plastic bowls from walmart as hides). He's pretty inexpensive to care for though, you can order 100 hopper mice from rodentpro for a juvenile for about 60 dollars which will last you quite some time and just go from there.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
cornchips
heck even a planted tank with anoles would be cool. Ive been really thinking of getting a small colony of anoles going, I think they would make a great display since they are active during the day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!