Black milk? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2004, 11:12 PM   #1
Andy_G
Black milk?

I baught this little girl as a black milk in November of '03 as a hatchling...but she hasn't gone through barely any change yet and her band count more accurately matches an andean(31 instead of in the 20's) but I don't know how much the band counts vary in black milks. Can anyone easily tell the difference between the two and tell me what mine is? Or maybe give me a scale count that I can go by? If not...I guess I will wait a few months and see if she gains more black...
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
elago
Have you probed her personally?

The male 03 I have hasn't undergone any change (maybe males hang onto the coloration a little longer?), while the female 02 I purchased with him was almost all black. A little more age should turn her black, I wouldn't be too concerned about it (unless she's not a pure black), just give her a little more time and she should start to turn black within a year's time. -Eric Lago

Old 05-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
Andy_G
One of my friends...Darren Boyd...a zoologist...probed her for me and she is definitely a she. I guess I will just wait.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
gila7150
That certainly looks like gaigeae to me. I've raised black milk hatchlings that haven't started their ontogenic color change until around 18 months of age. The age when color change occurs can be variable even among specimens from the same bloodline.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!