Full name requirement in the classifieds section. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
WebSlave
Full name requirement in the classifieds section.

This thread just caught my eye, so I read on through it....

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=125710

This is kind of unsettling..........

Me thinks it is time to REQUIRE full name info for anyone posting in the classifieds. Or maybe I would just be giving the mods and myself more unnecessary work to do around here enforcing something like this....

Old 01-29-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
Cat_72
I think it's a most excellent idea, Rich.

But yeah....it may be a real headache for you guys.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Lucille
If the seller was a corporation or partnership, would the name of the company be enough or would you require an actual person's name?

You might be building a false sense of security with such a requirement: if someone with no last name is bent on scamming, your requirement for a full name would simply lead them to supply you with a fake full name. How much research are you willing to do before you accept a name? Birth certificate? Driver's license? And the more you require, the more the customer can say that he justifiably relied on YOU when he sent in his money.

A scammed customer would then look to YOU when the name was exposed as a fake; perhaps expecting that you had some responsibility in finding for him the true real name.

I'm not saying 'buyer beware', it would be good to provide some info, but I think it might be far easier to pen a cautionary statement to buyers stickied to the top of the classifieds, to help the particularly gullible with some basic ideas. Many classifieds have cautions now about payments sent or received such as cashier's checks and Western Union.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
kmurphy
I think it is a great idea and I don't think anyone should be able to hide behind a company/corporate name.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Many classifieds have cautions now about payments sent or received such as cashier's checks and Western Union.
And how many people are STILL getting ripped off from those sites?

If a scammer is going to scam, sure they are going to try to find a way around it....but trying to help people avoid it is better than doing nothing at all.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
hhmoore
I just posted a question about the acceptability of that title line, lol.
As for the question at hand, though, I would have thought that getting the name of the person one is sending money to was just common sense (especially with people familiar with the BOI).
Personally, I think people posting ads SHOULD include their names...but requiring a name to be there doesn't give any assurance that it is real. At least with just a user name, first name, or fictitious (DBA) name, most potential customers would inquire...whereas seeing a name listed would appease a great majority of the people looking at the ads.
If the names don't have to be real, there isn't much sense in requiring them, IMO. The only simple way to verify the names is by requiring payment - and that's been unsuccessful here.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
So how about this....

I Think the Name idea is GREAT. Sure, some will make up fake names.... but that could be anyone, and if a bad transaction happens, they go on the BOI *hopefully, im sure its not always the case*

I realize they could... hang about, and start anew.... But for my own personal opinion, i would participate and gladly. I really try to buy from people i know anyway, or at least, fairly known names.

You could really use the GGC in this instance, its already in place, and its already a way to verify. I think we need to advertise it more.... this way, you guys are able to verify who the payment is from, and that the name is the same, as the person sending the money. But that way, you could put a notice in the classifieds to check for VERIFIED Sellers before buying. maybe a little icon near ones username in the classifieds, or something, in each sellers actual ad? * i dont realize how difficult that might be?*

Again, its still OPTIONAL.... but, for peace of mind, and such, since you already HAVE the program.....

Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
TheFragginDragon
Sounds like a good call to me Rich.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Shadera
What about those of us who want nothing to do with the GGC because people who haven't had an actual transaction with us can give negative feedback?

I think just a name in the ads will suffice. From there prospective buyers can do a BOI or internet search to look for anything bad.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
What about those of us who want nothing to do with the GGC because people who haven't had an actual transaction with us can give negative feedback?

I think just a name in the ads will suffice. From there prospective buyers can do a BOI or internet search to look for anything bad.
You paid for a membership right? Id say, youre probably verified. Either way....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!