wondering about the paypal 3% - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #81
Chris@TSE
Yes, you are entitled to your own opinions yet you whine when others give theirs. How very ironic.... And who's the child? That is what I thought.

Disagree as much as you like with what has been said, it changes nothing. It is still illegal and those who practice such blatant ignorance should be persued accordingly in my OPINION. Try to argue it as much as you like, unfortunately the practice of charging the previously mentioned "fees" remains illegal as so clearly stated in PayPals terms of service as well as numerous federal outlines.

Again, if you do not like being on the receiving end of others opinions, there is the door... By all means, use it. No one is stopping you.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #82
Chris@TSE
And just in case you were too lazy to read the previous posts in this thread and simply shoved your foot in your mouth by making uneducated remarks, I'll offer a brief re-cap...

Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express regulations and the
laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a
fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a
'surcharge').

· In order to comply with these laws and regulations, sellers may not
charge a fee for accepting PayPal

· This limitation does not prevent sellers from imposing a handling
fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the
handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling
fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the
handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods)

and.....

quoted here: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...cy_fees-outside

Receiving Payments. Personal accounts are not charged any fees for receiving payments, but may not receive credit card payments without upgrading to a Business or Premier account. Business and Premier accounts will be charged under the new performance-based fee structure, and the fees will be based on the country associated with the account.

quoted here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...n/terms-outside

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods). Nor does this restriction apply to Pound-denominated transactions by sellers residing in the United Kingdom listing items for sale on a UK-based website.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #83
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist
you don't know me, so don't pretend like you do. all i'm saying is that i'm entitled to my own opinions. this is a public forum so i gave my opinion. i don't need to be judged by adults that act like some adolescent, know-it-all fools.
True I don't know you but judging by your own words and admissions you have no regard for PayPal's TOS. You have admitted as much. Adding back the fee is a violation of those terms, which you accepted when you opened your account. Those TOS are a contract between you and PayPal. So I know, by your own admission that you will not honor a contract that you entered into. That indicates to me that you are not a man of your word, again based on what you have said right here about your business dealings. Based on that I have all of the information that I need to know that you are not to be trusted if honoring your word is inconvenient for you. Is there something that I missed?

As for being entitled to your opinion, why yes you are. And you are entitled to post it here. But remember that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #84
Chris@TSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
True I don't know you but judging by your own words and admissions you have no regard for PayPal's TOS. You have admitted as much. Adding back the fee is a violation of those terms, which you accepted when you opened your account. Those TOS are a contract between you and PayPal. So I know, by your own admission that you will not honor a contract that you entered into. That indicates to me that you are not a man of your word, again based on what you have said right here about your business dealings. Based on that I have all of the information that I need to know that you are not to be trusted if honoring your word is inconvenient for you. Is there something that I missed?

As for being entitled to your opinion, why yes you are. And you are entitled to post it here. But remember that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
I could not have said any better myself. Amen.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #85
Griz
Quote:
i'm getting in on this a little late, but i say charge what you want to charge. paypal can't tell me what to do nor can anyone else. my business dealings are my business and my customer's.
i usually figure the paypal 3% into my shipping/handling costs. why should i have to pay the 3% when the buyer could just send me a M/O at no charge to me?

I think that is the most blatant disregard for intelligence that I have ever seen.

Griz

Old 10-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #86
Hurley
I have to say I also skip any ad mentioning a charge for paypal (even before I knew it was against the TOS). In my opinion, the 3% is well worth what I as the seller get from the service. Rather than waiting a week or two then having to go through the hassle of having to go into a bank and physically deposit the check or money order, the money is there, accessible, and the deal can proceed immediately.

Also, as others have mentioned, 3% isn't exactly a huge price compared to the actual payment. For a couple hundred, you get charged 6 whole dollars to not have to dink around waiting for snail mail or money orders that never show (It's in the mail this time, I promise! )

For the time saved alone (let alone to avoid having to go wait in line at the bank), I'll give them their 3%. Making a deal and then telling someone to add 3% to the final sale is just too "flea-markety" for me. That alone would make me not do business with someone with that clause, even listed up front in the ad. I'll go pay a higher price elsewhere from someone who doesn't worry about charging for Paypal payments...in fact, I'd gladly pay those people significantly more than the "paypal charge" would have been, just to reward good business practices.

Short sum up: I agree, paypal fee should be included in the cost of doing business.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #87
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchoven
I think that is the most blatant disregard for intelligence that I have ever seen.

Griz
You don't get out much do you?

Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #88
kzooherpetoculturist
for real... some people's heads are just so far up their asses they never see the light of day.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #89
Jim O
Quote:
for real... some people's heads are just so far up their asses they never see the light of day.
And evidently you would know.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #90
Cat_72
Quote:
i'm getting in on this a little late, but i say charge what you want to charge. paypal can't tell me what to do nor can anyone else. my business dealings are my business and my customer's.
Ever see a 2 year old stomp their feet and say, "You're not the boss of me!"

*nods knowingly*

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!