**Former OH Governor Strickland Orders Ban** - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
EricWI
**Former OH Governor Strickland Orders Ban**

COLUMBUS -- Exiting Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland ordered a ban on new dangerous pets Thursday.

According to Strickland, the order will restrict future ownership, breeding, sale, and trade or barter of wild animals “that are dangerous to human health and safety.”

Under the ban, those who already own exotic pets will now have to register their animals with the state will also be barred from breeding boas, tigers, bears and other wild animals.

Strickland signed the emergency order to fulfill a deal his administration made with the Humane Society of the United States, Ohio’s agribusiness industry and other animal rights groups.

That agreement kept the Humane Society from going to the ballot with a measure containing a numerous restrictions on pet ownership and treatment and livestock care.

“"[The ban] will keep Ohio's vital agriculture industry profitable while appropriately updating animal care standards," Strickland said.

Strickland’s move follows a fatal black bear mauling of an animal caretaker in Lorain County last August.

"This rule will help protect Ohioans from deaths and serious injuries caused by attacks from dangerous wild animals held in private ownership," Strickland said.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Wildlife will enforce the ban. It will last 90 days.

It will be up to Gov.-elect John Kasich whether to keep the restrictions in place. He takes office Monday.

Ohio was one of the last few states to allow private ownership of dangerous animals with few restrictions.
www.wlwt.com/r/26388147/detail.html

Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
JColt
The owner of that bear is a real ass. He had a pet store at the mall years ago that was really sad. The guy that was killed willingly wrestled and played with the bear. Sad he died but it was his fault and now this.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Cp3_Pythons
SMFH SMFH its truly sad... it really is and yes its the actions of certain indivduals that effects all of us I dont see banning them period now putting in place stricter laws penelties and requirements I would agree with or even a ROC permi...t I could agree with Just anything to keep animals out of the hands of the wrong people that draw negitave attention to the Industry/Hobby make it harder for them to obtain one and if for some reason they do make the penilties for having one SEVERE if you dont have the proper paperwork in place to own an animal/reptile of concern

Hopefully the new Governor Will have a little more sense than the one leaving office and lift the laws but put Tighter restrictions and penelities for not getting the proper paperwork for owning certian animals... SMFH

Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
twohy4you
BULLSH$T

It's sorry that we Americans have no rights anymore.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Just more BS in the "interest of our safety".

Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Gloryhound
This is the reason I voted for Kasich, but in some news articles he is stating that "we should continue."

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index....ship_of_e.html

I will be contacting Kasich through any means I can dig up on this one. The HSUS is claiming 400,000 members in the state. Previously Kasich stated he didn't want outside groups determining how Ohio agriculture is run, but the way he sounds now he is more than ready to let outside groups determine the fate of other businesses.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Iguana-Love_Rescue
So this covers constrictors (Pythons?) as well? Anyone know what other critters ?

Wish they would give a detailed list of animals banned.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWI View Post
Strickland signed the emergency order to fulfill a deal his administration made with the Humane Society of the United States, Ohio’s agribusiness industry and other animal rights groups.

That agreement kept the Humane Society from going to the ballot with a measure containing a numerous restrictions on pet ownership and treatment and livestock care.
oh great, another example of HSUS using bully tactics to push through their agenda. Better let this bill pass "OR ELSE" we're coming for more. crap. I feel bad for anyone in Ohio.

Here was a quote from another story:
Strickland's successor, Gov.-elect John Kasich, who takes office on Monday, indicated yesterday that he might support a permanent exotic-animal ban.
"It sounds reasonable, but let me just take a look at it," Kasich told reporters. "I would be inclined to say we should continue it."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...otic-pets.html

Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Gloryhound
Some days I wish I would have went to law school, than I might be able to put my thoughts to practice. Been doing my research and in the executive order Strickland says they have the authority to regulate these wild animals under Ohio Rev. Code Chapter 1531. If you read the section fully they list the animals the term "Reptile" applies to. Directly after that Strickland gives the DNR what appears to be an open check in adding new animals to that list. Looking at the current list and how specific it is by in one instance going as far as defining the locality along with a kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula nigra), I wonder if they will have to be just as specific in identifying additional animals to add to the list and once the list is complete does the DNR remain in control of the blank check?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguana-Love_Rescue View Post
So this covers constrictors (Pythons?) as well? Anyone know what other critters ?

Wish they would give a detailed list of animals banned.
Right now it is a cloudy Large Constrictor. Whats large? 4ft, 8ft, 16 ft?

As a side, If Kasich goes after Police, Fire and State and City employees like he said, He'll be gone in 4 anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!