Things I hate... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #1
WebSlave
Things I hate...

I'll start this off with a letter I got yesterday. From the IRS.

Well, they are claiming they did not get a return from me for 2020. Curiously enough they are indicating that I have a tax account credit in exactly the amount of the check that was attached to that aforementioned return. We also have a copy of the cancelled check showing they certainly deposited that check attached to that return. Now how do you suppose they came to the conclusion that we did not SEND IN that return?

And this is also besides the point that we sent in our return via USPS CERTIFIED MAIL, and have a signed receipt for the return by the IRS.

Again, did we REALLY not send in that return, or do you think there is the tiniest little bit of chance that perhaps the IRS just LOST it?

So they want me to send them another copy. Yeah, I have to print it out, stuff it all in an envelope, attach explanations of why there is no check attached to this LATE return, pay for CERTIFIED MAIL AGAIN just knowing that this will get royally screwed up. Besides the fact that neither Connie nor I really want to have to run into the post office during their normal business hours with this omicron version of COVID running around.

Perhaps I will just send them copies of the cancelled check and the CERTIFIED MAIL receipt and as gently as I can, suggest that they just FIND that return of ours that they obviously LOST.

Anyway....... Is the whole damned world just going insane?

Old 01-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #2
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Perhaps I will just send them copies of the cancelled check and the CERTIFIED MAIL receipt and as gently as I can, suggest that they just FIND that return of ours that they obviously LOST.
I would send the above with the copy of the return.

Besides, it could be worse, they could have lost your tax return when you were due a refund!

The IRS is so slow and backlogged with processing returns that I make sure I owe a little bit. I don't want to have to wait until next year to get my money back.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:14 PM   #3
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I would send the above with the copy of the return.

Besides, it could be worse, they could have lost your tax return when you were due a refund!
I can come up with nothing better then... and

Old 01-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #4
WebSlave
Something else I hate

Snap rings.

WTH? The other day I had to remove a couple small ones to change some rollers on my knurling tools. I know very well their reputation as "Jesus! Clips", so I was taking every precaution. In the middle of the garage, the floor was clean. I was on one side of the work area and one of the vehicles on the other. Moved slowly and deliberately, with my hands surrounding the ring nearly all of the time in case it tried to fly away. I was able to get both of them off without a hitch, which actually surprised me. My snap ring pliers just barely would catch on them. So I am feeling pretty good about all this. I had to straighten the rings a bit as they got bent a little bit removing them. I was working on the first one, trying one tool after another till I found one that seemed like it would form the ring around the post the best. I got it partially on, and then went to reposition the pliers so I could push it all the way in place. I even hesitated to make sure the ring was going to stay in place when I moved. OK, looks good.... **PLING**!! I was looking right at it but didn't even see it move.

I keep the floor to the garage pretty clean, and I looked EVERYWHERE for it. I mean crawling on my hands and knees EVERYWHERE. Even places I thought it couldn't possibly have gotten to. Never did find it. I had hoped the two robot vacuums I have that run in the garage every night might pick it up, but no such luck there neither. So I have an order in with Harbor Freight right now for a snap ring assortment, hoping that one of the sizes will fit that tool. Actually, I pulled out the plastic bag with the remains of the tool in it to show a friend of mine the size of that snap ring, and it seems to have escaped that closed plastic bag too. When I try another one, I am going to smack it with a hammer first to kill it.

Damn these things are evil!

Old 01-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #5
Lucille
Quote:

My 2 cents: They are bureaucrats, and what do you think the chances are that they will
1) Admit they were in error and go look for the document the was either lost or destroyed/deleted so it may actually not be subject to be found; or
2) Escalate the issue in the way that only bureaucrats can do, making you responsible for their mistake, perhaps even threatening penalties.

Your reasoning and logic of the issues are impeccable as is your proof. While they may ultimately prevail, a bureaucrat on a bad day can create a lot of misery. After all, what's to prevent them from also (conveniently) losing your reply?

It appears you are stuck between Covid and the IRS, and truly between a rock and a hard place. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #6
WebSlave
Yeah, you can't fight people who are above the law. And the IRS certainly qualifies for being in that category. Even if I would "win" the battle, I could still wind up losing the war, one way or another. People rarely like having their noses rubbed in their errors.

So with that in mind, I will do what has been suggested above. Just send in another copy along with the proof that I already paid the tax bill, for which they have that credit for. So hopefully that will just be the end of it, having bowed low enough and did their bidding.

Sometimes you just have to choose to NOT die on that hill you would really like to defend.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #7
Herpin Man
Quite a few years ago, I received a letter from the IRS, regarding a small business I had closed a couple of years before. The letter alleged that I had failed to pay payroll taxes for the now-closed business. With penalties and interest, the letter said, I now owed several hundred thousand dollars, and that the IRS was liening my house and property. Former employees also received similar letters, requesting their shares of the taxes (those were fun conversations).
Fortunately, I still had copies of everything, and was able to prove that I had paid the taxes and filed the paperwork.
Would you believe that the IRS did the exact same thing to me the following year?
And the year after that?

Old 01-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
Quite a few years ago, I received a letter from the IRS, regarding a small business I had closed a couple of years before. The letter alleged that I had failed to pay payroll taxes for the now-closed business. With penalties and interest, the letter said, I now owed several hundred thousand dollars, and that the IRS was liening my house and property. Former employees also received similar letters, requesting their shares of the taxes (those were fun conversations).
Fortunately, I still had copies of everything, and was able to prove that I had paid the taxes and filed the paperwork.
Would you believe that the IRS did the exact same thing to me the following year?
And the year after that?
So basically, you were guilty until proven innocent.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #9
Herpin Man
Quote:
So basically, you were guilty until proven innocent.
Without a doubt.

On top of that, they were usually dicks about it if I called.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #10
WebSlave
Anyone else REALLY hate talking to phone bots when trying to get through to a company? I have been trying to get an issue resolved with having a new cable modem activated, and it is about to drive me up a wall trying to get through to Comcast. They funneled me over to a app on my cell phone, and that was just as bad, if not worse, than their internet interface. So I am scheduled to have a tech come out here just to activate the new modem. It used to take about 15 minutes to do this, either over the phone, or sometimes just done automatically via the web interface.

Lord have mercy on that tech if he says they have to charge me for that visit. Not his fault, for sure, but he would be the low hanging fruit on that tree.

Of course, this is all because that 1gb service I am paying for with Comcast is giving me usually no better than 30 to 80 megabits per second. And that is even in the wee hours of the morning when there should really be no traffic to speak of around here. So they can't blame it on traffic congestion.

Any bets on that new modem not making any difference? Even after the headaches of just trying to get it activated so I can test it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!