My Project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
VxXDJXxV
My Project

I currently have an albino burm and an albino retic. there babies so i have a little time to think about this. I have allready heard about the method of how to bread them. The question i have is pretaining to the genetic aspect.......This is what i think...... if both snakes are both albino that means they have both have recessive genes, if the burm is aa and the retic is bb there babies will be ab. but does that mean they will come out albino bateaters or bateaters that look normal with with recessive burm albino genes and recessive retic albino genes. Im still a novice when it comes to this stuff and need some help. Am i close or miles away with my assumption.

thanks

Old 07-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
hhmoore
The albino trait is expressed differently in burms and retics (we don't have white, lavender, and purple albino burms). That could be a function of the gene anomoly itself, or where it is carried. If it is not the same anomoly that causes the phenotype, or if it occurs at a different point in the genomic structure, I doubt that the albino trait would be evidenced when crossing the two.
In other words, not all forms of albinism are compatible (see Kahl and Sharp strains in boas, for example), so don't count on getting albinos

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!