Xanthism in corns - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
omni
Xanthism in corns

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in Xanthism (showing yellow), I haven't found much in the way of documented genetics dealing with Xanthic corn snakes. A forum search here on fauna gives a mention in this old thread:Some thoughts on Anerythrism
When appearing in Anerys and normals, it shows as highlights, and I'm thinking that's where the orange appearance comes from in hypo and amelanistic corns.
I don't myself have a large enough breeding pool to work with; pretty sure more than Anerys and norms would be req'd, even if you worked with individuals showing high yellow, and I haven't any snows yet. The problem isn't easy to sort out, various shades of browns mask the appearance of yellow which may also be present.
Could you imagine the striking appearance of a xanthic anery w/high contrast between the two colors? I envision really solid black saddles on a total yellow background.
Erythrism and AneryB's seem to be in the opposite direction to isolating the color, charcoals may not have it and red seems to mask. I'm thinking about a 15-20 yr program to prove out reliably a line with xanthic traits w/o any headstart from someone already working along these lines. Possibly half that if I can benefit from prior research and real good luck. No luck with reproducing the sporadic abberations that have appeared due to my small pool...
Side benefits of working towards this goal could be many, giving evidence of other, possibly many, genes responsible for different shades we know little about.
~Paul Sutter

Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
paulh
I think that caramels and butters (amelanistic caramel) are the closest to what you are thinking of to date.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!