Anery turning blue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
omni
Anery turning blue

One of my anery's came into the yellow side-color on his front half a couple sheds ago, but with his last shed is noticably blue-tinged on his back half. He is just a regular brown and gray corn, Anerythristic(A) male w/o any hets that I knew of when I bought him.

I think read somewhere that Dilute(?) is responsible for this coloration. Is it possible he carries that gene or has some het? I haven't seen this in anybody's Anery's before, just wondering if he might be something special.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
ravensgait
Paul post some photos of this critter... Randy

Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni
One of my anery's came into the yellow side-color on his front half a couple sheds ago, but with his last shed is noticably blue-tinged on his back half. He is just a regular brown and gray corn, Anerythristic(A) male w/o any hets that I knew of when I bought him.

I think read somewhere that Dilute(?) is responsible for this coloration. Is it possible he carries that gene or has some het? I haven't seen this in anybody's Anery's before, just wondering if he might be something special.
I've got an anery mot like that. Susan, the mod on CS.com has a line that she calls blued steel motleys. I've heard that dilute is a gene, but i've also heard that it's a selectively bred phase, too.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
omni
I know, "Show Me"... I'll get a pic tonight and have it up tomorrow. I couldn't take pix yesterday; he's pretty excitable as feeding day gets near (fed earlier today.)

I was assured that he is result of AneryA x AneryA and has no hets, but no records were kept this long of the parents of the clutch. The snake was #CS204-06 hatched June 6, '06 from HGH if anyone has an Anery from that period.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni
I know, "Show Me"... I'll get a pic tonight and have it up tomorrow. I couldn't take pix yesterday; he's pretty excitable as feeding day gets near (fed earlier today.)

I was assured that he is result of AneryA x AneryA and has no hets, but no records were kept this long of the parents of the clutch. The snake was #CS204-06 hatched June 6, '06 from HGH if anyone has an Anery from that period.

Paul ...I'm not sure what records your looking for????
Your email asked "Hoping you keep records on clutches you have produced in the past."
I only keep hatchling (hatch dates and feeding) records for about 2 weeks after they are sold, and they are available upon request from my customers.

As I explained to you in our emails, the offspring you purchased from me is the result of breeding Anery A to Anery A (parents were not het for anything).
Yellowing is normal in anerys. I still have those adults and they have only produced anerys since I have been breeding them.

I know that every corn owner hopes they have something "special" or "different" ...I have sold many anerys from this pairing and you are the first
to notify me of having something "different".

Old 12-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
omni
@Jim, I thought perhaps one or both parents might be registered for the ACR, or you could show me a pic of either...

The yellow is commonplace, not concerned w/ that...
The bluing is not unlike what you would see in "preshed bluing", showed up with his last shed, Nov 5.
The first pic is Jim's taken in May, at 11mos old as advertised on HGH's site when I bought him. At that time, his background color was more a silvery gray.
The second is mine after 3 sheds and 18mos old, now appearing as bluish gray background from midpoint back. Surrounding the dorsal saddles is a thin border of light silver.
I'll take another after his next shed which should be in about 3 wks. To see the snake in person would show people what I am talking about if not apparent in the pic. I hope to show him to some people at the next show I go to in Cleveland, probably in Spring.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
omni
OOPS. pics backwards: 1st is mine, taken this morning, 2nd is Jim's taken in May

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!