kingsnake wont eat - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-10-2006, 05:52 AM   #11
DAND
Update?

Jason,

Were you able to get your new addition to eat?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
carterbrandee
Im not sure how these forums work or if this is where I should ask for help or not but Im trying it anyways. My husband and I bought a Grayband kingsnake last friday and I cant get it to eat she is only 3 weeks old

Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #13
Mike Greathouse
Brandee,
Normally, you would start your question as a new thread in this forum.
Since the topics are related however, there is no problem addressing it here.

Baby Grey Banded Kings are notorious non-feeders.
Did the person who sold you the animal state that it was feeding?
Very often, baby Greybands will need to be started on scented pinkies.
Essentially, you will need to find an anole or fence lizard and rub it on the pinky to transfer some of the scent.

This method will work for many babies.
Keep us posted on your progress. If the scenting is unsuccessful, there are other methods which can be tried.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
Cat_72
Another thing to consider...if you just got it 4 days ago, it may need some time to get acclimated to its new home before it will be willing to eat as well. Try giving it a few days to settle in unbothered before the next feeding attempt.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
carterbrandee
Red face thank you for the responce

I did try a scented pinkie from the pet store where we bought her the guy who sold her to us didnt tell us that graybands were impossible to feed she is adorable and $100.00 is alot of money to throw away I do know she has never eaten and she is exactly 3 weeks old I dont know how many or if she has even had her first shed yet Im sure she has though because her coloring is like a bright gray almost blue looking I dont know much about snakes My first snake was a cornsnake and I have only had her for about 2 months but she will eat right out of my hand

Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #16
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Another thing to consider...if you just got it 4 days ago, it may need some time to get acclimated to its new home before it will be willing to eat as well. Try giving it a few days to settle in unbothered before the next feeding attempt.
Good call Cathy. I guess I should read a little closer. I was thinking that Brandee had the baby for 3 weeks.

Cathy is absolutely correct. Give your baby another couple of days to settle in and then offer it a very small pinky. The whole ordeal of the relocation can be very stressful. Additionally, a 3 week old baby snake has probably only had one or two meals ever. Don't push her too much.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #17
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbrandee
I do know she has never eaten and she is exactly 3 weeks old I dont know how many or if she has even had her first shed yet Im sure she has though because her coloring is like a bright gray almost blue looking I dont know much about snakes My first snake was a cornsnake and I have only had her for about 2 months but she will eat right out of my hand
It is very irresponsible for a pet store to sell a baby Grey Banded King that has never eaten. They either do not know what they are selling, or care about nothing but the money. Either way, find a new pet store to deal with.

At three weeks of age, you need to get this girl eating soon. Give her another day or two to settle in, but then she needs to get some food in her.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:09 AM   #18
carterbrandee
are you still there this is my first time on any kind of online forum other than email

Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #19
Cat_72
We're here and there Brandee, lol.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #20
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbrandee
are you still there this is my first time on any kind of online forum other than email
Brandee,
If you have other questions and are uncomfortable in the forum atmosphere, feel free to email me directly at mike@reptiliandreams.com

I'll help you any way that I can.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!