Ben Siegel Incident - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #31
WebSlave
Heck, I couldn't finish watching those videos. I was about ready to puke just WATCHING those people.

Sorry, but NO WAY...... I don't care what they were giving away as a prize.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #32
Durante
I didn't see an exact quantity which I'm sure could turn out to be useful info but it wasn't the fact bugs were eaten that got under my skin. I think everyone at least ate one bug before even if you didn't know it. I believe it's just a matter of opinion on whats being consumed. I'm sure there are many things people have or I have in my diet that wouldn't consider by others after learning what they are & where they been. There are some things I could not imagine eating yet they are considered delicacies in some parts of the world. The part that left the bad taste in my mouth besides the comments of rude folks following a few of the news articles I seen was the media's lack of details on the incident compared to the surplus of info on the mans personal life. I cant seem to wrap my head around the reasoning of mentioning what the mans criminal history is & how something of 8 years ago played a role in this incident. Not knowing the man personally or his past it just doesn't seem like the right thing to discuss in my opinion unless it played a role related to the story being reported. In this case I hope that's not the case. My respects to the mans family.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #33
squinn
this whole contest was sick, disgusting and irrelevant. Irregardless of whether the death is linked to the bug consumption or not all contests like this do is paint us all as freaks and misfits. We need as an industry to be cleaning up our image not reinforcing rediculous stereotypes of who reptile keepers are. This contest is shameful regardless of the cause of death.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #34
GREGORY J HALL
Exactly why all the gimmics to sell reptiles really dumb now it makes MSN home page news! guys mug shot was on there.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #35
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Heck, I couldn't finish watching those videos. I was about ready to puke just WATCHING those people.

Sorry, but NO WAY...... I don't care what they were giving away as a prize.

I'm with you there. That was disgusting!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #36
RonanRat
Question, but if this event had been cleared and allowed by county health and whatnot, wouldn't EMTs have been on-scene? Seems kind of dumb to do that sort of thing without running it by health officials first, regardless of outcome.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #37
Dennis Hultman
The videos seemed to be getting taken down. The most detailed one in #29 is gone. Several more online are gone too.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #38
Metachrosis
another lawsuit verses natural selection pending

Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #39
Durante
I'm a little shocked at the amount of finger pointing towards Ben Siegel & the contest. Can it be considered a gross contest, sure but that is what is attracting attention, in hopes of making more sales. I see tons of gimmicks & events being done involving unhealthy or possibly dangerous acts & not all are related to eating. Does the gimmick paint the herp community in a unflattering color? Sure, (especially when something as sad as this happens) but I think the way it's being reported by the media is doing a better job of creating stereo types. I can't even confirm from the multiple stories posted by the media if EMT's could have even made a difference in this tragic story yet I know an impression may have been left on a community & man by readers when unnecessary photos & information that is currently irrelevant & currently not related to the story are shared when I can bet it is & preferred to be left private. I'm just saying it my opinion the media who is the biggest source creating a stereotype for there own selfish benefits by exploiting a tragitic event & not someone I always assumed was an asset to the herp community. It's easy to say how stupid of an idea this after the fact but I heard nothing before it took place & doubt I would have if everything went smooth. I think I need facts to be heard & all information comes to light before further commenting & even though this may reflect the hobby one way or another let's remember a life was lost.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #40
MDC_Ophiuchus
Just FYI, this is from Chris Ivins from the South Florida Herp Society and Everglades Herp Society:

Quote:
"I was there and watched it all go down, what the media is reporting is far from the truth, more will come out today. The news is reporting that he simply walked out of the store and collapsed, that is not true at all. He was vomiting and was asked a dozen times if he was ok, every time his response was laughter. He asked Andy and I go find his buddy that he drove there with so he could go home. At that point he got in the truck. And we thought they went home. It was not until about an hr later we heard a scream and all rushed about 5 stores to the west to see what happened. He was laying on the ground not breathing and his friend was just leaning on the car watching him die. He did not even call 911. We frantically preformed CPR until the ambulance got there. The friend did lie to us and say he called 911 but they said the first call was Matt. He drowned in his own vomit and his tongue was swollen. After the ambulance took him away his friend had the balls to ask for the ivory ball that his almost dead friend had won. He said that if Eddie won he was going to pay him 150 for the snake."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!