Help with sexing - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Male or Female??
Male 0 0%
Female 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumRosePythons View Post
The second photo is a pic of my lesser 'male'. Dyou you think he's a she?
I see more male in that second pic so I think your ok on that one , but it looks a bit irritated, almost like he has been popped a few times and the hemipenes don't want to fully come out. That could mean your popping method is a bit off, or the male in question is a bit older and has more developed muscles. Good investment on the probes, it's up to you but I would recomend getting probes that have a small ball at the end of the probe, this acts as a stopper preventing you from going to far.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
PlatinumRosePythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz4246 View Post
I see more male in that second pic so I think your ok on that one , but it looks a bit irritated, almost like he has been popped a few times and the hemipenes don't want to fully come out. That could mean your popping method is a bit off, or the male in question is a bit older and has more developed muscles. Good investment on the probes, it's up to you but I would recomend getting probes that have a small ball at the end of the probe, this acts as a stopper preventing you from going to far.
I got the 8 peice kit with ball tips from Reptile basics. How do you know which size probe to use on a snake? Obviously the smallest ones are for hatchlings but the other sizes i'm unsure about.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
KRAZE
Just a little bit of my .02 cents, but when i was learning to pop and then later on probe, i had a very experienced breeder show me how to do it safely. I think it was much more helpful seeing it done in person and then having him walk me through it as i tried my first few attempts at popping. In a video, no one can see you on the other side of that screen with the snake in your hands and say 'not quite, a little more roll or 'too hard'. Then before i even.boight a probe kit, i happened to be with him and he had his, so we again practiced on all my snakes with him showing me first and knowing male or female juat so i knew what to feel for before i went jamming a probe in on my own to an unknown sex snake. Probing is definatly something i didnt want to just try without seeing it first hand, but again, thats just me.

Even if you went to a local reptile shop or better yet a reptile expo and find someone who has a minute to give you a good hands on lesson. I find it like riding a bike, once you get the perfect feel, you never loose it and youll be able to pop and probe any snake you want! (well almost any, i still have trouble probing the big pythons with multiple people on hand lol) Best of luck!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
PlatinumRosePythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZE View Post
Just a little bit of my .02 cents, but when i was learning to pop and then later on probe, i had a very experienced breeder show me how to do it safely. I think it was much more helpful seeing it done in person and then having him walk me through it as i tried my first few attempts at popping. In a video, no one can see you on the other side of that screen with the snake in your hands and say 'not quite, a little more roll or 'too hard'. Then before i even.boight a probe kit, i happened to be with him and he had his, so we again practiced on all my snakes with him showing me first and knowing male or female juat so i knew what to feel for before i went jamming a probe in on my own to an unknown sex snake. Probing is definatly something i didnt want to just try without seeing it first hand, but again, thats just me.

Even if you went to a local reptile shop or better yet a reptile expo and find someone who has a minute to give you a good hands on lesson. I find it like riding a bike, once you get the perfect feel, you never loose it and youll be able to pop and probe any snake you want! (well almost any, i still have trouble probing the big pythons with multiple people on hand lol) Best of luck!
Don't really have that around here unfourtunatly. The closest ball python breeder is 3 hours away and there is no experianced anything around here (unless you consider petsmart experianced. i sure dont!). Personally, I 'get' probing more than I do popping. I think popping is just to difficult for me.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
Dbz4246
Quote:
I got the 8 peice kit with ball tips from Reptile basics. How do you know which size probe to use on a snake? Obviously the smallest ones are for hatchlings but the other sizes i'm unsure about.
As long as the probe isn't to big, your fine

Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Shadera
Quote:
Don't really have that around here unfourtunatly. The closest ball python breeder is 3 hours away and there is no experianced anything around here (unless you consider petsmart experianced. i sure dont!). Personally, I 'get' probing more than I do popping. I think popping is just to difficult for me.
Your snake vet ought to be able to show you how to probe. That's where I learned.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
Focal
Quote:
I bought it and barely used it again (I think I even created a thread on here requesting sizing and no one knew) and two of the probes are the same exact size. I wouldn't give up on it though, but personally, I think popping is more accurate with ball pythons and would keep working on getting that right. With probing, scale counts can be too close to both sexes. Using a probe that is slightly too big wont pass into a hemipene and will give the feeling that it's a female. If the probe is too small, I heard it can pass through a female and give the reading of a male. It just ended up being too much for me. Once I got a good eye for popping, I get it right every time without question.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!