a new kingsnake! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Nyoka77
Talking a new kingsnake!

Just got a California bananna king snake at a reptile show. He's my second addition to the family. My other is a western hog.
Isn't he pretty!!!?
He shakes his tail when he gets scares like a rattle snake...anyone else's do that?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Very nice!! My Cali King used to do that whenever she got spooked or agitated, just a normal instinctive reaction, quite effective at getting someone's attention when it's done near dry leaves!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Hypancistrus
My new abberrant cal king does that, too. It's cute. She also rears, hisses and strikes... over and over. That won't be so cute once she is 4' long. I am hoping she grows out of it....

Old 08-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Laura Fopiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoka77
Just got a California bananna king snake at a reptile show. He's my second addition to the family. My other is a western hog.
Isn't he pretty!!!?
He shakes his tail when he gets scares like a rattle snake...anyone else's do that?

All of my colubrids did that when they were young. It is a normal behavior (fear) and with regular handling it should calm down.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Nyoka77
thanks for the replies...
i guess the fact that he poops all over me when i pick him up has to do with being scared too? yuck!

Old 08-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoka77
thanks for the replies...
i guess the fact that he poops all over me when i pick him up has to do with being scared too? yuck!
Nah, he's marking you as His.

J/C Yes, it's a defensive reaction that should lessen with time and handling. It has a potent scent that may deter animals from harming them. Totally natural.

Nice King. Good luck.
Rick

Old 08-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Nyoka77

two more questions,
How often do you recommend feeding him? He is shedding for the second time in 3 weeks, maybe i'm feeding too much? Don't want him to get toooo big!
Also, do you recommend heating lamps for cali kingsnakes? I have a undercage heater, not sure if thats warm enough for him in an airconditioned room.
thanks!!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
ShaunMAuth
the tail rattling and and pooping are instintive behaviors found in most wild kingsnakes with proper handling and a little time he/she should grow out of it. I have 2 kings a coastal albino banded and a reverse spotted and 2 more arriving today. My original 2 both did these things and my hatchling still does it at times but the large female grew out of it but then again I can't keep her in the cage i just love playing with her she is so sweet. Congrats on your new baby. I wish you all the luck.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
ShaunMAuth
Nyoka I've done alot of research for my upcoming breeding I want to do. I've found many sources online that say that lighting isn't really important with kingsnakes. There are many accounts of breeders keeping these snakes in tubs with no light source, just heat, and they have done really well so i don't think you're going to need the heat lamp unless your hot side is dropping below 80 degrees. Do you provide a gradient for him?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!