Breeder Loan Help/ Advice? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Get Sum
Breeder Loan Help/ Advice?

I am asking for advice on how to handle the split of a clutch on a breeder loan with a good friend. I have been breeding balls for 6 years, but have never attempted to split a clutch or bred anyone else animals. Here is the situation: I have a friend that has a (non) proven possible het pied that he picked up for cheap and has had for (7) months (the snake is healthy-no issues), He does not have any pied males. He asked if I would take the snake and breed it to one of my males: 1. Pied, 2. Pastel het Pied. I had the snake at my facility and fed, bred her for (4) months prior to her laying a clutch of (6) fertile eggs. I have incubated the eggs, hatched out all 6 babies and have gotten them all started on food (4) meals.

Question: How do most breeder loans work when splitting up the clutch. My intention is to sell off all my share as I do not want any more babies to raise up. Who normally gets first pick? Does it work similar to dogs (where the owner of the stud gets the pick of the liter and the other party keeps the rest)? This is my friend so I want to be as fair as possible but I do not have any experience with doing a breeder loan.

Any feedback from anyone that has any input or has done breeder loans would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
hhmoore
Given that his female is an unproven possible het, I would say that you get first choice...but that still leaves room for bad feelings (or bad examples). What if there is only one pied; will you take it? I know it's a friend; but there's nothing in that for you if you pass on it. You might want to set up some reasonable compensation, in the event she doesn't prove or only produces one pied. Unless, of course, you want to deal with selling a couple of het pied males; which won't even cover your time and feed.

As far as how it works, there is nothing set in stone...but I think a common approach is alternating choice. Since the pied male is yours, you pick first; then your friends goes, then you, etc, until the babies are divided.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Get Sum
Clutch Results

The unproven het proved out. The pied never took but the pastel het pied did. The clutch produced:
1.0 Pastel Pied
1.0 Pastel 66% Het
0.3 66% Hets
1.0 66% Het

Crappy odds to split a clutch...Right? I have heard that usually the breeder that has the male and does all the work usually gets first pick. Obviously, in this case that will not equate to a fair split. If I offered my friend all hatchlings except for the pastel pied AND a regular pied from one of my other clutches, does that sound fair?

If he really wants the pastel pied would asking for $500 for the entire clutch sound fair? I figure those six animals are worth about a $1,000.

I will never do another breeder loan again, It's not worth the time and effort to be stuck with trying to make a fair decision for both parties.

Any advice on what you guys think would be a fair solution based on the clutch results?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Get Sum
Clutch Results

The unproven het proved out. The pied never took but the pastel het pied did. The clutch produced:
1.0 Pastel Pied
1.0 Pastel 66% Het
0.3 66% Hets
1.0 66% Het

Crappy odds to split a clutch...Right? I have heard that usually the breeder that has the male and does all the work usually gets first pick. Obviously, in this case that will not equate to a fair split. If I offered my friend all hatchlings except for the pastel pied AND a regular pied from one of my other clutches, does that sound fair?

If he really wants the pastel pied would asking for $500 for the entire clutch sound fair? I figure those six animals are worth about a $1,000.

I will never do another breeder loan again, It's not worth the time and effort to be stuck with trying to make a fair decision for both parties.

Any advice on what you guys think would be a fair solution based on the clutch results?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
ClarkT
I don't mind doing breeder loans, but details have to be worked out before any snakes see each other.

Typically, the one with the more valuable parent gets the first pick--at least that's how we do it. I try to keep breeder loans among friends, too, as we tend to get along better. Maybe I'm too easy going about it.

The bottom line with breeder loans, to me, is that the clutch wouldn't have happened if the male and female never bred each other. Therefore, both parties deserve compensation.

With your situation, I'd offer him a pied from another clutch, as you've stated, and keep the rest of the clutch. The benefit to him isn't just a baby pied, but that the female proved out.

Let the lesson be learned, though, that you should work out EVERY detail beforehand, so that when it comes to this type of clutch, nobody has the right to harbor bad feelings. They might anyway, but that would be because of the odds, which is out of everyone's control.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
khoffman
Sell the animals and split the money if you cant agree on an animal split. Otherwise give him the proven pastel het pied to go with his female. and the rest of the clutch you keep the pastel pied.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
tbgnc22
Just got out of this exact situation myself. I didn't quite have the males that I have now so I sent an odd female to be bred at a friends house. We decided he gets first pick since he pumped food into her the entire breeding season. Its only fair he got first pick since he spent that money on rats. Plus he basically did my job for me. The one feeding the female in my opinion should always get first pick.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgnc22 View Post
Just got out of this exact situation myself. I didn't quite have the males that I have now so I sent an odd female to be bred at a friends house. We decided he gets first pick since he pumped food into her the entire breeding season. Its only fair he got first pick since he spent that money on rats. Plus he basically did my job for me. The one feeding the female in my opinion should always get first pick.
I agree with this, I used a buddy's male on my female. I took care of the eggs and I dealt with the babies. So I got first pick, he got second and then I kept the rest of the clutch. IMO the one how does the work should get first pick.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
hhmoore
I don't think that theory always works...sometimes it depends on who wants the loan, what each side brings to the pairing, and a few other factors.
It's also a good idea to address responsibilities, just in case; because, even between good friends, an animal on loan getting sick (or dying) can cause a lot of ill feelings - especially when higher priced animals are involved.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Ballfiend
You get first he gets second and so on till last baby is pick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!