Carnivorous Plants - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #101
lady.phoenix
Very nice.
I do not have luck with Venus Fly traps. Every single one I've gotten has died.
One of the few plants that I don't have a green thumb for.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #102
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady.phoenix View Post
Very nice.
I do not have luck with Venus Fly traps. Every single one I've gotten has died.
One of the few plants that I don't have a green thumb for.
How are you setting them up?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #103
lady.phoenix
I'm actually just buying them from Lowe's and repotting them with peat moss. Maybe it's too hot where I live.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #104
WebSlave
Repot them in a 50/50 mixture of sand and peatmoss. Make sure that the peat moss does not have plant food additives. Use distilled or rain water to mix the sand and peatmoss, and ALWAYS use that type of water for these plants. Put the pot with the plants(s) in it into a saucer that will bring the water level around half way up the put. VFTs appear to like it slightly drier than sundews prefer, from what I have seen, so bear that in mind.

I doubt that your area is hotter than it is here in north Florida, but if you think heat is the problem, use light colored pots so they won't absorb too much heat from sunlight.

There are a lot of websites out there about how to properly care for these plants, so maybe viewing some and looking at setup photos would be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #105
lady.phoenix
Humidity may very well be my problem if they like it somewhat dry. The humidity is rough.
I will try your suggestions.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #106
WebSlave
Don't keep them in a covered container. They are shipped that way because otherwise they will dry out during transit. Some people treat them like tropicals, but they really are not. The natural range is near Wilmington, North Carolina, so that should give you some idea of what they need.

BTW, the ones I have also purchased from Lowe's are doing excellent. Getting very big traps on them, and exposed to full sun, the traps will get some nice color on the inside surfaces.

A friend of mine told me that he bought a backhoe attachment for his tractor. He's retiring in August and is already looking for things to do to keep him occupied. Got me to thinking that maybe we could build a BIG bog area.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!