Animal Planet Expo, Sad situation-animals being neglected - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
CheriS
Animal Planet Expo, Sad situation-animals being neglected

Today we went to a traveling display that was put on by Animal Planet in Sarasota, Florida. One tent was so disgusting, with neglected animals, it was sad to see the conditions and shape they were in. Some people left the expo with their children after seeing the shape two lizards were in. We tried to talk to the person who was running that tent, to see if he realized that these lizards were not the norm and needed medical care. He insisted the bearded dragon and blue tongue skink where fine. Either the person knows nothing about them, (he misnamed them and did not seem to know much about them) or just does not care as I have seen rescues in better condition that these.

We tried getting help from the Animal Planet Promoters to get them rehydration, medical care for both and removing them from display and the stress they were under. Not only were the lizards ill, they were being allowed to be handled by small children! Animal Planet Promoters Mark Russel and Brian Nuehouse who were in charge of the Animal Planet Expo, stated that the tent called "Animal House" was a independent contractor hired by them to display animals and they had no control over them or what they did to their animals.

Several local agencies were called by us and other to get authorities involed and they passed the call off to others, until it was too late get someone in to help. Just prior to the close of the Expo, Fish and Wildlife returned a call and apologized that no one had repsonded, but they had just got the call and were almost an hour away and could not get there til after the expo closed. Over several hours the call went through The Humane Society, Sheriff's Department, Aminal Control and finally to Fish & wildlife. The person in this "Animal House" tent of Animal Planet, refused to give his name, claimed he was part of a company called Wild Wonders out of California (whether this is true or not has yet to be verified), so who knows, but they sure would not give any info or his name, even after we talked to Fish and game and they wanted more info.

We were able to get pictures of the animals, the man displaying them, his Auto tag and we will follow up with Amimal Planet, Wild Wonders (if in fact he is involved with them) and the officials involed (who did respond via phone and assure they will follow up with Animal Planet and finding out who this is). This to me is very bad conduct on the part of Animal Planet... they are suppose to care about animal, not stick their heads in the sand or make abuse profitable for someone. Here are the pictures of the lizards they paid someone to display

The bearded dragon: note the dehydration, collapsed fat pads on the head... more than collapsed, they are concave and the wrinkled side skin, his bones on the hip also are sticking out. That does not happen over night or even in a short time and certainly not to a healthy bearded dragon. Yes, that is a adult dragon in a 1/2 height 10 gallon tank!! Even with all the bearded dragons we have taken in that were in sad shape, I have NEVER seen one with fat pad this poor

Here is the blue tongue Skink, either several repeat injuries to the spine and tail or possibly MBD, the lower spine is indented, the tail is very jagged throughout the entire spine and tail area is knotted.

Person who claims to own them

IMO, these animals need medical care and have been neglected for some time. Their cage smelled terrible and was outside in the open air. Animal Planet should be ashamed of their part and indifference in this, if they are paying someone to display ill and neglected animals, they encourage this type of abuse and make it profitable for others to continue it, they should be held accountable. They also give the public a false impression of what a healthy animal is , often leading people to buy animals in poor or dying conditions, because people thought "knowledgable" experts showed them this a normal

Animal Planet tent with sick animals pictured above

Old 04-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Rebel Dragons
Oh my god........... Do you know if they are traveling to another expo?

Maybe the organizers of the expo could give you more information on the home company.

Maybe contacting animal planet would make them look further into it. I am sure you have done more than most already but jeeze those animals look seconds from death

Those poor animals......................

Old 04-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
Very sad...

I'm not even going to ask if they were hadling "saniwipes" to the children after they touched the lizards. After the recent outbreak of E coli O54 in FL we have been suggested locally to use this precuation at any petting ZOO. Salmonella could very well be present in those animals.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
CheriS
I had not even thought about the E-coli, I was thinking about Crypto and others that can be zoonotic to children., but your right that is also a real threat

What really worries me is this man honestly did not think there was anything wrong with these lizards...and was hostile to us that we were out of line questioning their health, which tells me why they are probably in the shape they are. Thats just scary with a group that is suppose to advocate animal care.

I checked Animal Planets schedule they are in Jacksonville next week and West Palm the week after, but also in Atlanta and Alabame on some of the same weekends, so there must be more than one group on display. If anyone is in those areas and go to this expo and see the animals still there... call fish and game early so they can try and get there. I think if they see these lizards in person, they would be cited and removed from this persons care

I have emailed Animal Planet and Wild Wonders in California with this URL, we will see if they respond or take any steps to insure these animals get medical care.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #5
gmherps
That's a dang shame.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:45 AM   #6
SableLynx
That is horrible. I love watching Animal Planet but if they are going to put thier name on this that may have to change.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
The BoidSmith
What if?

What if we contacted them? Maybe if we bring this to their attention they might be more careful with what they sponsor in the future. Does anyone have an e-mail and/or name to whom we should address our concern?

Regards.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS
I had not even thought about the E-coli, I was thinking about Crypto and others that can be zoonotic to children., but your right that is also a real threat

What really worries me is this man honestly did not think there was anything wrong with these lizards...and was hostile to us that we were out of line questioning their health, which tells me why they are probably in the shape they are. Thats just scary with a group that is suppose to advocate animal care.

I checked Animal Planets schedule they are in Jacksonville next week and West Palm the week after, but also in Atlanta and Alabame on some of the same weekends, so there must be more than one group on display. If anyone is in those areas and go to this expo and see the animals still there... call fish and game early so they can try and get there. I think if they see these lizards in person, they would be cited and removed from this persons care

I have emailed Animal Planet and Wild Wonders in California with this URL, we will see if they respond or take any steps to insure these animals get medical care.
Contacting local Animal Control authorites is a good idea too, for the animals' sake. If conditions are that deplorable I wouldn't wait for a "corporate investigation".

Old 05-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
LakesideBoas
At the very least Animal planet needs to address the deplorable conditions of creatures involved in a show they are promoting. Passing the buck and/or citing company "policy" doesn't get those animals the care they need and I, for one, will not continue to support an organization that ignores the neglect going on under their own noses even when it is brought to their attention.

I would be more than happy to supply them with pictures of happy, healthy specimens for their perusal.

This tour is part of their 'Animal Planet Expo 2005'. I am going to send a link to this thread as well as the aforementioned comparison pics through discovery.com as soon as I get home from work.

This individual may not be a typical example of those working closly with this promotion, I am sure they have many different groups working with them throughout the country, but these issues need to be addressed and corrected.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
CheriS
Finding an email address for Animal Planet was difficult, the ones we tried wanted info filled out on which TV program. I ended up emailing the adsales/information emailm but if anyone can find one direct for customer relations, let me know
http://animal.discovery.com/utilitie...t/contact.html

I did find a phone number and address in this info:
Quote:
How can I contact you with programming comments or questions?
We welcome your e-mail comments and questions, which you can send to us by clicking here. (this goes to the Url above)

If you need to speak to a Viewer Relations agent about our programs, please call us at 1-859-342-8439 between the hours of 9 am and 6 pm eastern time Monday through Friday. These are the two most efficient ways to contact us. Comments or questions directed to anyone else at Discovery Communications will be forwarded to Viewer Relations-and this will mean it will take us longer to follow up.

You can also write to us at Viewer Relations, Box 873, Florence, KY 41022.
I will call the phone number Monday also. We also contacted the company called Wild Wonders in California who the man at the display said he worked for, but then he also said he owned them, so we are not sure thats so. They have a website online and claim to be a rehab and education group :/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!