Matriphagy - Eating Mother for Sustenance - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
jacuoco88
Post Matriphagy - Eating Mother for Sustenance

Matriphagy is the phenomenon whereby offspring will kill and eat their own mother for nutritional sustenance. Most notably, it is common among centipedes of the genus, Scolopendra (i.e., S. gigantea and S. galapagoensis) and certain species of arachnids. I've always been curious how the specific process unfolds - does the mother die as the result of a biological clock or do the offspring kill her, etc. And I wanted to see the phenomena take place. Well recently, I came across a video on YouTube that shows a mother spider encouraging her 1st instar spiderlings to swarm, envenomate, kill and eat her for nutritional sustenance. Matriphagy is an evolutionary strategy which has the mother sacrifice her life for the survival of her young and ultimately, the perpetuation of the species. See video at: http://youtu.be/coUd6d3j_6g

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!