Gloves? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
scratchypen
Gloves?

I notice alot of pics recently where people are wearing latex gloves when dealing with their snakes. Is there something Im missing, i.e. some health benefit for the snakes for wearing gloves? Just seems like more and more people are wearing gloves when dealing with them, I never have. Strange question, I know, just kind of starting to make me wonder if I missed something.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Matt2979
I've heard of some people wearing gloves to help make sure they don't transmit anything between animals. If that's the reason you're going to wear them, you have to change gloves for each animal or you're wasting your time (I bring this up because I've seen people do it).

I've also heard of another breeder than said he didn't get as bad of a reaction when he picked up his snakes with gloves, as opposed to without. Something about his body temperature being much more evident without them.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
hhmoore
Some people do it when cleaning cages, too - as mentioned above, it doesn't do anything to prevent cross contamination when they aren't changed between cages (though that is the reason a lot of people give...and they'll argue more than I care to, so I don't bother any more), but it keeps your hands clean

Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Some people do it when cleaning cages
I use an inside out ziploc bag. Grab the stuff I'm spot cleaning and then seal the bag. No dirty hands that way.
The gloves. Never did understand that. You would really need to buy in large bulk quantities and go thru a lot to even get a small benefit from using them.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Shadera
I wear them when cleaning, just because I have no desire to have to dig snake crap out from under my nails.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
I wear them when cleaning, just because I have no desire to have to dig snake crap out from under my nails.

And the chores involved in breeding tend to make my hands feel rough and dry...not to mention the chores are rough on manicures.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
deborahbroadus
When I see all the pictures people take holding their snakes with dirty nails...I wonder. lol

Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
dirty nails means one's been working hard - look at the snake not the nails

I figured some people used gloves when dealing with eggs but I also wondered why people were wearing them other times, good to know.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
snowgyre
I don't use any gloves, but then again I'm a biologist and used to having dirty hands and fingernails. :-) Just seems like a waste of plastic to me when a good antibacterial soap works just as well. Only time I would even consider using plastic gloves is if I was dealing with a definitely sick animal. Hopefully I won't run into that problem. As the owner of a fairly small collection I can afford to be extremely choosy about the animals I acquire and the breeders I purchase from.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
R. Eventide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
I definitely don't like digging crap (literally) out from under my long fingernails! But I can't wear latex gloves either--the nails poke right through the ends! I've found a way to mostly wash under fingernails, so I just do that. With a lot of soap!'

I really like the inside-out baggie idea.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!