Participation in the BOI - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileGeek181 View Post
If they want to give an opinion they should just pm the person, the facts are always better than an opinion, just so you know.
Ok.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
ReptileGeek181
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Ok.
Your welcome

Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
KORBIN5895
Thanks to the boi I just avoided a trade that I am sure would have ended with me being ripped off.

Yes some very loud people get on their soap boxes. So what? These same people have read many of the boi threads and can reference them which I find very helpful. The saying "If you can't stand the heat get away from the fire" really applies to the boi.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
james delauney
i just get on here to buy reptiles, and look up cool info an other people feeds about them, this system with rules and punishments i was never aware about. sorry man i shouldnt of opened my mouth in the firt place sorry guy

Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
WebSlave
Quote:
They should just let the mods facilitate as oppose to letting third parties give their opinions and assumptions.
This has been addressed MANY times before. And I pretty much use the same answer every time.

Please look up the definition of "peer pressure" and try to understand why THIS is the method necessary for the BOI to function as it does. The BOI is NOT a court. It is a FORUM. A BOARD of inquiry composed of all members willing to view the threads posted there, and willing to provide feedback to the parties engaging in an issue of public interest. These people viewing such threads MAY very well be potential customers for the parties involved. THIS thought alone should give them pause to try to come to grips with how their actions are being viewed by those potential customers. If none of those potential customers post their opinions, then such parties might not realize just how their stance is being interpreted by the public. This is the power of the BOI. PEOPLE using it. Applying public pressure in situations where obviously the most satisfying solution to the general public is not usually obvious to the parties involved. Simply stating the facts involved will likely not be enough, as not everyone can easily connect the dots or put two and two together. And sometimes the pressure of public opinion can shake loose other facts that might not have otherwise come to be known. Those opinions offered will help those most of the people interested in the situation likely see facets of an issue that may not have been self evident to all interested parties.

So in a nutshell, the BOI operates the way it is because that is how it is supposed to work. I've tried incorporating wrinkles here and there in the basic structure, but over time, this way has proven to be the best of all possible options I am aware of. So until a better idea comes along, I'm really not inclined to consider making major changes at all.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by james delauney View Post
i shouldnt of opened my mouth in the firt place sorry guy
I think it's good if it can lead to productive debate. The BOI changes all the time, and as Lucille says, constructive criticism should always be welcome. No need for anyone to get defensive.

(This cross posted with Rich's above - it was NOT aimed at that post.... :-))

Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
AbsoluteApril
There are rules in place for the site in an effort to make it more friendly place to be. We want to keep it safe for minors viewing the general threads as well. The site used to be a much different place 10 years, even 5 years, ago with lots of name calling and general rudeness in the BOI. Rich, IMO, has made great efforts to try to appease the user base by having both a level of freedom to post but certain guidelines (rules) to ensure it doesn't get out of hand. There's no way to please everyone.

Moderators do our best to ensure those rules are followed. Warnings and infractions are a way of both reminding people of the rules and if necessary, building up to bans for those that continually disregard the rules.

James, we welcome participation on the site, I hope you will give it another chance and check out the discussion forums. there are a lot of very nice and helpful people on this site.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
Mistyck
Quote:
If they want to give an opinion they should just pm the person, the facts are always better than an opinion, just so you know.
Now what sense would that make? Everyone is entitled to say what's on their mind, whether you agree or not. You don't have to like it. If you don't want to read opinion, then skip over it. Lots of facts have been found out from other's opinions.

I happen to agree with Deb on this one.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
Suncoast Herpetological
James

If you took my explanation of what happened in the other thread as "jumping on you", that was not my intention. You were asking what the issue was and you were also dangerously close to an "Abuse of Moderators" infraction. I was simply trying to help you avoid that.

I reread my post again and can't really see how i could have been any more polite.

Everyone here welcomes new posters but a thin skin on this site will leave you pretty well bruised most of the time lol

Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
ReptileGeek181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyck View Post
Now what sense would that make? Everyone is entitled to say what's on their mind, whether you agree or not. You don't have to like it. If you don't want to read opinion, then skip over it. Lots of facts have been found out from other's opinions.

I happen to agree with Deb on this one.
How do you get a fact from someone else's opinion??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!