Which species of Pyxicephalus? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Dyscophus antongilii
Question Which species of Pyxicephalus?

As the title states, which species of Pyxicephalus do you think this is? Of course, I am hoping it is a male Pyxicephalus adspersus. But, aren't we all !!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I can add some more recent photo's. Those pictures might be a month old. He has grown. I suspect more in girth then length .

Old 02-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
Michael Brown
Can I see the under side of him?

But just from those two pictures it is a male Pyxicephalus adspersus (giant)

Where did you purchase that you are uncertain? A pet store?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brown View Post
Can I see the under side of him?
Yes, I sure can. These are NOT the best picture's and I do apologize for that. If you need better ones, just ask.

Quote:
But just from those two pictures it is a male Pyxicephalus adspersus (giant)
I am so excited. You made my week! If it is a female, how large can she get? I only had a male, MANY, years ago. He was huge and awesome.

Quote:
Where did you purchase that you are uncertain? A pet store?
No, worse, at least depending on how you want to look at it. I know a person, who, gets all types of animals and then tires of them. Then, he/she sells them for pennies on the dollar.

I also want to add, I have had my specimen for three months and a week. So, the above photo's might be two months old. These new pictures, where taken yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]
Ventral side view #1.

[IMG][/IMG]
Ventral side view #2.

Ventral side view #3.

A dorsal view in the same size water receptacle.

[IMG][/IMG]
A side view. I am sorry about the water marks.

[IMG][/IMG]
A frontal view. Doesn't he/she have a small head?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Michael Brown
The small head is a product of over feeding. His body has not developed as fast as his girth. His hands and general head /mouth width ratio is indicative of a male. I would highly recommend a leaner diet of earth worms, dubia, talapia, and the occasional small mouse.

It's always cool to feed these things big prey, but it honestly does no good for the animal and drastically decreases its life span.

He looked a lot healthier when you first got him. Like I said, I'd recommend cutting back a lot on fleshy indigestible prey

Old 02-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
The small head is a product of over feeding.
This is so embarrassing for me. But, seriously, thank you very much for telling me.

Quote:
His body has not developed as fast as his girth.
I kinda figured that part, sadly.

Quote:
His hands and general head /mouth width ratio is indicative of a male.
I am so excited to "hear"....well see that.

Quote:
I would highly recommend a leaner diet of earth worms, dubia, talapia,
All I have fed him so far are crickets, lots and lots of them. I will try and get him to eat some earth worms again. He was NOT keen on them. He will NOT eat anything F/T. I do NOT have access to any live Tilapia. Can you recommend a live fish that is healthy for him?

Quote:
and the occasional small mouse.
He has never had a mouse in my care. The person that had him, fed him mice. Since, he/she bred them. I do NOT feed live mammals. So, I have never given him one. I have given one to my Ceratophrys cranwelli. But, that is because he will eat it F/T prey item.

Quote:
It's always cool to feed these things big prey, but it honestly does no good for the animal and drastically decreases its life span.
I completely understand and agree. Could it be the fifty (50) plus crickets a week, are too many for him? I dust them with calcium and or vitamins. I am just mentioning that, just so you know. I highly doubt that is related to his obesity.

Quote:
He looked a lot healthier when you first got him.
I guess maybe he/she fed him far less frequently, despite it being an inappropriate food source?

Quote:
Like I said, I'd recommend cutting back a lot on fleshy indigestible prey
Please advise me what to feed him, given the above information. Thank you again for your time and attention on this matter.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
Michael Brown
Oh wow my apologies. I find it very bazaar that he put on weight from just eating crickets.

I was growing 15-20 Males at a time for a while in a large rack. If one or a few started getting chunky I would bump the warm side temp, and feed Roaches / earthworms every few days until I saw change. That frog is not starving, if you moved to q5day feeding of a hopper size f/t mouse you would prob see a big difference in about a month. Then you could revisit a proper high protein diet until he is full size. Has he grown length wise since your purchase?

And you don't have to feed fish. Just keep it simple and do either earth worms, dubia Roaches, or mice.
If you want a couple hundred of male dubia for cheap send me a pm. We are very close to each other location wise

Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Oh wow my apologies.
Do NOT apologize. It's cool, I just appreciate your help.

Quote:
I find it very bazaar that he put on weight from just eating crickets.
It might have been more then fifty crickets a week. But, yes, it is definitely just crickets while in my care.

Quote:
I was growing 15-20 Males at a time for a while in a large rack. If one or a few started getting chunky I would bump the warm side temp, and feed Roaches / earthworms every few days until I saw change.
I will warm up his tank. But, it is in the high 70's to low 80's. But, I can bump it up some. What do you suggest?

Quote:
That frog is not starving,
Thanks for not calling him a fat slob. Or, me, a complete idiot. We both appreciate your kindness.

Quote:
if you moved to q5day feeding of a hopper size f/t mouse you would prob see a big difference in about a month.
I am NOT sure if he will accept a F/T prey item. I could wait a week and try. Do you suggest that? If not, how many crickets should I feed and how often?

Quote:
Then you could revisit a proper high protein diet until he is full size.
Okay, that sounds great!

Quote:
Has he grown length wise since your purchase?
I think so. If you look at the first two picture's, that was shortly after purchase. That is the same water receptacle. He seems longer to me. I can see if I have a dorsal view from when I first got him. But, I might NOT have one.

Quote:
And you don't have to feed fish. Just keep it simple and do either earth worms, dubia Roaches, or mice.
I will get earth worms and start that next week. Hopefully, hunger, will make him want to consume them. How long should I wait before offering them?

Quote:
If you want a couple hundred of male dubia for cheap send me a pm. We are very close to each other location wise
PM being sent.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
Michael Brown
I typically kept the ambient temps around 82 degrees. Meaning I probed midway through the enclosure for a temp of around 82 degrees. The warm side was always around 95 but they can thermoregulate themselves just like anything else.

He will accept F/T off tongs when at the proper temperature / hungry. If he will won’t, I would still wait until he is hungry before offering live crickets to him again. Crickets are a bad idea, but if you have to feed them I would suggest a couple of dozen a week until he starts to slim down a bit.

I would suggest offering him a few earthworms once you acquire them. Like people, smaller more frequent meals can boost metabolism.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #9
Michael Brown
It’s important to note, that most people do not provide UVB/UVA for African bullfrogs. If you continue to feed just crickets the frog will need supplementation to provide proper calcium to prevent MBD. This can be achieved with some of the supplements out there, but can also be avoided by feeding complete prey items such as small sized rodents as a staple (larger than pinkie mice size is when proper bone mass begins to develop).

My frogs loved frozen thawed chicks.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
Dyscophus antongilii
I would first like to apologize for my extremely slow/lag time in responding to you. I am VERY sorry and hopefully you can forgive me.

Quote:
I typically kept the ambient temps around 82 degrees. Meaning I probed midway through the enclosure for a temp of around 82 degrees.
I see and thank you for that information. Your a wealth of information, as usual.

Quote:
The warm side was always around 95 but they can thermoregulate themselves just like anything else.
That is true. But, thank you, for giving me the thermal and or temperature parameters you used.

Quote:
He will accept F/T off tongs when at the proper temperature / hungry.
It does appear my temperature parameters are appropriate, given the above information. However, I am fairly sure he just isn't hungry enough. At least, not yet.

Quote:
If he will won’t, I would still wait until he is hungry before offering live crickets to him again.
Okay, I tried that.

Quote:
Crickets are a bad idea,
Can I ask you why? Years ago, I was told to never feed Tenebrio molitor to anything. However, today, many people do feed them. Is that was has happened with Acheta domestica?

Quote:
but if you have to feed them I would suggest a couple of dozen a week until he starts to slim down a bit.
Over a week(s) period, I gave him twelve (12) to fifteen (15) crickets, while, I went looking around for large Night-Crawler/large Bait Worms. Since, the small Worms he had ZERO intentions of eating.

Quote:
I would suggest offering him a few earthworms once you acquire them. Like people, smaller more frequent meals can boost metabolism.
I am not having much luck getting him to accept smaller prey items of any type/species. I did however do smaller frequent meals with the crickets. I finally found large Earthworms/Night-crawlers/Bait Worms that he would accept. Photo's for your viewing pleasure and for you to tell me how many he should be eating weekly. Hopefully, you do NOT mind all the questions.

Quote:
It’s important to note, that most people do not provide UVB/UVA for African bullfrogs. If you continue to feed just crickets the frog will need supplementation to provide proper calcium to prevent MBD.
I completely agree and understand, I swear. As stated: in post #5, all his prey items (outside of the worm shown in the photo's) are dusted with either a calcium supplement and or a vitamin/mineral supplement.

Quote:
This can be achieved with some of the supplements out there,
What brand/brands do you recommend? I happen to like and have always used Rep-Cal and Herptivite.

Quote:
but can also be avoided by feeding complete prey items such as small sized rodents as a staple (larger than pinkie mice size is when proper bone mass begins to develop).
I was told that was . It's too high in fat. I am getting very confused. Which, is fairly simply with my small brain! So, is one adult Mus musculus a month acceptable? If so, how many worms should he be consuming? Both when "on a diet" and "not on a diet".

Quote:
My frogs loved frozen thawed chicks.
I have ordered some. Hopefully, mine will too.

Thank you, for all your time and having patience with me. Plus, of course, answering my never ending list of questions.

Now it is "picture time"!

Thanks everyone for looking. Plus, feel free, to comment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
michael brown