Burm Won't Eat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
99SS#20
Burm Won't Eat

I have a 11 foot male Burm that has started refusing food and become extremely restless. He is constantly "pacing" his cage and trying to get out. This is not his norm. I have checked on temps and humidity, and they seem fine. He has defecated and urinated and has access to water. I have no other Burm females in the reptile room, but I do have a pair of balls breeding. Could the female be driving him "nuts"?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
99SS#20
Don't everybody reply all at once!!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
reticguy76
yes. he wants to breed

Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
pythonjim
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SS#20 View Post
I have a 11 foot male Burm that has started refusing food and become extremely restless. He is constantly "pacing" his cage and trying to get out. This is not his norm. I have checked on temps and humidity, and they seem fine. He has defecated and urinated and has access to water. I have no other Burm females in the reptile room, but I do have a pair of balls breeding. Could the female be driving him "nuts"?
has this guy settled down? spead up? how is he doing now?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Keith Stambaugh
If he hasn't been off food to long, I wouldn't put much merit to it. I've had Burms for over 25 years and had many of them cycle through those periods. Usually not more than a month or so. Can be frustrating when your thawing food and then they don't take it. Unsure what your feeding but sometimes just a simple change from a rat to rabbit or even a chicken will stimulate him again. You may also want to drop the temp to 80 or so just for a day or two to help settle him down.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
pythonjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Stambaugh View Post
If he hasn't been off food to long, I wouldn't put much merit to it. I've had Burms for over 25 years and had many of them cycle through those periods. Usually not more than a month or so. Can be frustrating when your thawing food and then they don't take it. Unsure what your feeding but sometimes just a simple change from a rat to rabbit or even a chicken will stimulate him again. You may also want to drop the temp to 80 or so just for a day or two to help settle him down.
chickens are definately the ticket!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
99SS#20
I have tried live, FT and PK rats and rabbits to no effect. It has been about 2 months since he at. I raised his temps and lowered them back to 80-95 across the cage. He is still refusing food.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Keith Stambaugh
I'm sure he's still fine, you may have to push the head of a rat or rabbit in his mouth. He'll resist of course, but try and get it started. Hold the snake still until he's calm, and slowly let go and slowly walk away, no distractions, no movement.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
retic88
my males get like this around this time a year. he is probley in breeding mode and wants to find a girl. they will do this for a few months and once spring comes they snap out of it. just be patiant and long as he is healthy you have nothing to worry about.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
pythonjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by retic88 View Post
my males get like this around this time a year. he is probley in breeding mode and wants to find a girl. they will do this for a few months and once spring comes they snap out of it. just be patiant and long as he is healthy you have nothing to worry about.
come to think of it, my SD retic hasent eaten in quite a while.........tis the season.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!