Wrestler Allowed Pet Python to Starve to Death - Court - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Wrestler Allowed Pet Python to Starve to Death - Court

American wrestler Jake “the Snake” Roberts left his star serpent sidekick starving to death – and even had a phobia of his pet reptile, a court heard today.

The wrestler, once a star of the hugely popular World Wrestling Federation, had not fed his 15ft python for between seven and eight months, St Albans Magistrates’ Court was told.

The snake, which the Texan waved around before his wrestling bouts, also suffered mouth rot and was cooped up in an unsuitable tank. The snake died after being seized by RSPCA inspectors.

Roberts – real name Aurelian Smith Jnr – is accused of causing unnecessary suffering to his Burmese python between August and September last year.

The 48-year-old, who once performed in front of millions alongside stars like Hulk Hogan, did not attend today’s proceedings but the trial went ahead in his absence.

Valerie Burnham, 59, who lived with Roberts in White Horse Lane, London Colney, Hertfordshire denies the same charge.

Also in court is snake dealer Kevin Wicks, 30, who allegedly owned the snake and who also denies permitting unnecessary suffering to the animal.

Mr Bruce Kent, prosecuting, said: “The snake had a number of apparent difficulties which required treatment.

“It was severely debilitated and significantly underweight. That should have been apparent to those in possession of the snake.”

The court also heard that the snake was suffering from a heavy infestation of mites requiring veterinary treatment.

Mr Kent described Mrs Burnham and Roberts as “best friends and business partners doing everything together”.

The court was told that the snake was originally supplied for the purpose of business.

Mr Kent said: “Mr Smith is a wrestler by trade and used a snake in the course of his performance.”

Link

Old 11-06-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
Wrestler Guilty of Mistreating Show Snake

A professional wrestler was today convicted of mistreating a 12ft snake which he used as part of his act.

Jake “the Snake” Roberts, 48, who was born near Dallas, Texas, but lives in London Colney, Herts, faces a fine or community punishment as a result of causing unnecessary suffering to the male Burmese python.

Magistrates in St Albans, Herts convicted 18st Roberts – once a star of the World Wrestling Federation circuit – of causing unnecessary cruelty to the python between August and September 2003.

Roberts, whose real name is Aurelian Smith Jnr, did not attend the three-day trial and was convicted in his absence.

Magistrates issued a warrant ordering the 6ft 6in wrestler to return to court at a date to be fixed to be sentenced.

The RSPCA, which brought the prosecution, said the snake had not been fed for several months, was suffering from mouth rot and was kept in an unsuitable tank in the garage of his home.

Magistrates were told Roberts waved the snake around before his wrestling bouts and threw it towards defeated opponents.

“We are satisfied that Mr Smith (Roberts) was responsible for the day-to-day care of the snake,” said magistrate’s chairman Mike Bamford.

“The snake was in a very poor condition.”

He added: “We are considering a community punishment sentence, fine and a ban on keeping reptiles.”

Magistrates were told by the RSPCA that the snake had died after being seized by RSPCA inspectors.

RSPCA officials said its remains would now be destroyed.

Roberts’ business partner Valerie Burnham, 59, who shared a house with Roberts in London Colney, was found not guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to the snake.

Snake dealer Kevin Wicks, 30, of Bracknell, Berkshire, who had given the snake to Roberts, was found not guilty of permitting unnecessary suffering to the python.

Link

Old 11-06-2004, 11:20 PM   #3
Sand&SunReptile
Serves him right...
I remember I used to be a big Jake "The Snake" Roberts fan, back in the day.
I lost any respect I had for him, he was the guy who got me hooked on reptiles.
Luckily my care is better than him...

Old 11-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
Glenn Bartley
Unbelievably amazing. I often have wondered what has happened to reptiles seen in sideshows and as props for an act like this, to bad about this one.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:39 AM   #5
Sand&SunReptile
Do any of you guys know about the "Big E"?
It's a large traveling type deal. They have the midway, rides, and tons of tables and booths selling this and that.
They had a few animal trailers. Most of the animals looked good.... They had a big burmese, which looked very well fed. 2 Bears, with spacious room (nothing near what I would give them, if I owned them though) and plenty of toys, but they had this pig. 1000lbs. It was clearly just an overfed porker. Couldnt even stand up...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!