Lost Gecko Story - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
Herpcam
Lost Gecko Story

Hey everyone. For those of you that knew I was gone...I'm back now. I had something really strange happen this evening as I walked in to clean and feed my geckos.

It started off with a scary moment. As I walked into the room in my bare feet, I halfway stepped on something small, cool and bumpy. At first it looked like a toy lizard on the carpet, but then I realized it was a very real juvenile leopard gecko. The problem was, all of my geckos were safe in their cages, which I quickly confirmed even before I picked this one up. She was not harmed by my foot, and seemed healthy overall, but a little skinny.

I called my wife upstairs to see if she knew where it had come from and this is what we figured out. We had a not-so-good breeding year last year and when I left in September we only had two hatchlings. Right after I left, my wife found an empty cage and looked around, but couldn't find a gecko to go with it, so thought there wasn't supposed to be one in there. Well, apparently there was and it had escaped and survived about 6 months in the room without being seen by her, the cat, or our dog.

Here she is a little skinny and secure in a new cage.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
PaulSage
Rob, wow what a story. Six months?! I'm glad you found her though. It's amazing how long they can survive outside of our controlled husbandry. I had one escapee last fall that actually gained weight in the 3-4 weeks that she was loose. I was pretty shocked, but then again, I hadn't been hearing as many loose crickets chirping either.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
Welcome Home, Rob!!!

I'm so glad you made it home safe and sound... I look forward to talking with you soon!

Great story! I'm sure the little skinny one will catch-up in no time once it can warm up and start eating regularly.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Jeremy Letkey
Rob, welcome home. Welcome home to your little lost gecko as well. LOL :scatter:

Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Sarah H
Welcome Back! Great story, she looks pretty good for being on her own for 6 months.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
BalloonzForU
What a great story. Glad to see she's ok, I'm sure she'll bounce right back now that she's been found. Welcome back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!