possibly gravid? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
rinoa0587
possibly gravid?

hello all,
well i have had isis for about three weeks now and she was eating like a pig up untill yesterday. she normally eats 11 cricket a day. her tail wasn't fattening up but her body was which concerned me so i got her mealworms. she ate 8 on tuesday, two yesterday and none today; so i tried crickets and she ate about three started to chase another then just walked away and went back to her humid hide. i noticed her body is really fat but her tail is pretty thin. i know she isn't impacted with anything because she goes to the bathroom just about everyday. i feel like i might be overreacting but i was looking through caresheets and what-not and i really can't pinpoint if she is gracid or if she is just going through some normal thing. oh and i haven't bred her i think she is too young and i didnt plan on breeding her she was supposed to just be my pet, i bought her from a petstore where she was kept with other leo's so i'm just a bit suspiscious. thanks for any help i really do appreciate it.
*ash

Old 04-21-2004, 10:18 PM   #2
riverjop
got any cigars?

naw....hey my geckos sometimes won't eat for a day or two, she may be ready to shed or just still full from 11 crickets WOW! Im full just thinking about it. and yes she could be gravid..............cigars anyone?

Old 04-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
rinoa0587
shedding

she just shed last week, so i don't think its that. and when she did shed she didn't loes her appatite as far as i could tell because at that point i was only feeding her six crickets.

Old 04-22-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
SquanGeckos
Maybe I can help you...

how old is isis? is your vivarium set up properly? How big are the crickets? I've noticed from my leos that they eat more when they are younger...but it also varies from gecko to gecko. Generally, 3-4 times a week is all they should be fed. I've read it is unhealthy to keep a leo too fat if you are not breeding them. It shortens their life span.

You said you just got her a few weeks ago. Give her some time to adjust. Just because she's not eating like crazy doesn't mean she's not healthy.

The chance of her being gravid is only likely if she's the right age, laid before, or with other gravid females and a male.

hope this helps!

Old 04-22-2004, 06:06 PM   #5
rinoa0587
eating

okay for her to go from wanting a dozen crickets a night to wanting one a night is a huge change so i'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with adjusting. and i dont think she is too big if anything her tail is too skinny. and i have heard from many breeders that they must have food available to them everyday.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!