FREE spider ball python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Adoptions

Notices

Adoptions This section is for people OFFERING animals for adoption. NOT solicitations asking for free animals.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
omgitskacie12
FREE spider ball python

I sometimes take in snakes and animals to try to rehab them and then find them new homes or keep the. But this one i dont think i can help. I got it from pet-o-rama yesterday and this is what they told me, It has a inverted rectum, they have had it for 2 months and they left it there like that!!! it also has not eaten in over 2 months, is skin and bones and it is dehydrated. Is there any way to save it? Its about 3 feet

I will give it to anyone that knows how to help this little one, that or they know a vet that could put it down because i dont think it can be saved at all. I gave it water for the first time in 2 weeks and it drank for about 5 or 6 min. I dont want to offer it food because it cant poop on its own.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
omgitskacie12
If i dont find someone to take it and ether rehab it or take it to their vet and see what their vet says ill take it to mine and have it put down.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
fearthemachine84
I am pretty sure the vet can fix the inverted rectum not too uncommon. Now as far as health + surgery does not sound well.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
WindsweptReptiles
Health + surgery doesn't sound the best but when put down is the option I don't see why not try.

Though personally I'm wondering if you took it to rehab, why didn't you take it to your vet first instead of posting someone here to vet it? Unless I'm reading something wrong.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Elizabeth Minton
i say if you can look into an spca/vet kinda thing. i think the best thing other than putting it down would be to sign it over. they can fix the inverted rectum and find it a home no cost for the surgery. they may charge a fee but idk what else i can offer. wish i could help

Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
omgitskacie12
i took it in because i know i could find someone that could actually get it the care it needs, i dont have a reptile vet and my vet charges 100 just to look at them so i figured i would ask everyone on here to see if they can help it and if not ill take it to my vet and have them look at it and fix it. Me being 16 and i didnt want to see the snake rot to death in a cold tank i took it and im not trying to find it the help it needs instead of letting pet-o-rama just letting it slowly die there

Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Elizabeth Minton
i understand. i would take it and get it help but honestly i cant risk losing money if it doesnt make it through shipping. its your choice

Old 07-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Shadera
If it's as bad as you say, I wouldn't risk shipping it. And if for some crazy reason you do decide to do that, please - PLEASE do your research on the person you are sending it to. The promise of a free animal will draw all sorts of lowlifes out of hiding, and some of them will say whatever they think you want to hear.

I agree with the suggestion of at least giving it a try. Give a very small prey item and see how that goes. What sort of substrate are you using? Above all keep it very simple and clean. Some nice unprinted paper or paper towels slightly moistened. Do you have any pictures of how bad the prolapse is?

These are very resilient animals, and you might be surprised what you can pull them through with just some proper care. Of course it doesn't take the place of advice from a knowledgeable herp vet, but barring turning the animal over to a reptile rescue near you this might be a feasible option.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
omgitskacie12
I really would like to keep the snake and get it healthy but i cant do it. I am keeping it in a 20 gallon tank with a heat lamp that keeps the tank between 80 and 90 usually around 85 or 87, i would put it in my snake rack (i have 7 other ball pythons) but im not sure if it has anything that might harm my snakes. I am keeping it on paper towels that are a little moist and it gets fresh water 2 times a day. I offered it a small fuzzy rat and it wasnt interested in it, I dont want to force feed it but it REALLY needs food!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Elizabeth Minton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
If it's as bad as you say, I wouldn't risk shipping it. And if for some crazy reason you do decide to do that, please - PLEASE do your research on the person you are sending it to. The promise of a free animal will draw all sorts of lowlifes out of hiding, and some of them will say whatever they think you want to hear.

I agree with the suggestion of at least giving it a try. Give a very small prey item and see how that goes. What sort of substrate are you using? Above all keep it very simple and clean. Some nice unprinted paper or paper towels slightly moistened. Do you have any pictures of how bad the prolapse is?

These are very resilient animals, and you might be surprised what you can pull them through with just some proper care. Of course it doesn't take the place of advice from a knowledgeable herp vet, but barring turning the animal over to a reptile rescue near you I think this would be feasible.
very wise. if i were you i would not ship the poor thing either... if you do find someone to care for it, keep it local. most people would not ship a snake like that.. the stress from shipping could kill it. not feeding it is stressful too. do try a very small feeder. keep us all updated and make sure it doesnt get dehydrated. bad combo. if you can see the rectum try gentley pushing it back in or soaking the snake in a warm dish of water mixed with sugar... helped one of mine a while back when mine deficated and pushed out some of its rectum. idk good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!