Best feeder for my snakes!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
hupababy_83
Question Best feeder for my snakes!?

Ok here is the deal... I am tired of hearing people say, mice are best, rats are best, pigs are best, etc etc etc!!! So now I'm confused and have a few questions!!! What is the best feeder rodent for my snakes!!? I have 4 RTB and 1 BP!!

I don't know how to word this so let me try to exsplain my next question... When feeding my Tokays I know that Dubia roaches are best, with good protien, low fats, and possibly calcium. I know wax worms are bad do to the fact they are the triple, quad bacon cheese burger of the insect world, In other words high on fats, so good only for a treat. What are the fallowing feeder rodents high/good for?!

Rats?
Guinea pigs?
Rabbits?
Chicks?
Pigs?

I feed strickly rats. She I spice up the menu and feed a selection? My snakes are healthy, active, round and content I would say. Poop in their water bowls everyweek and it have never snapped or bit me, (except my BP). Can someone please shed some light on this for me? And if their is more feeders out there that I don't know of that is better for my snakes, will you please let me know!?

Respectfully,
Betty

Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
reticguy76
feeding prey type is up to you (whatever the snake will take of course), im a big believer in mixing up prey items to feed. they are made to eat a variety of items, of different sizes and shapes. now, in captivity, i think they should have a safe, healthy staple diet, but mix in other items every so often.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
hupababy_83
Thank you for your reply. I was also thinking of giving (well trying) a mixed menu of prey. Example: rats week 1, rabbit week 2,a chick for a treat, rats week 3 etc etc etc... Now this isn't somehing I have decided 100% on yet, just somehing I have been batting around in my ever turning mind! I have read somewhere that the big time snake keepers frown on feeding chicks/chicken/poultry to snakes do to the birds ncreasing salamonila (sp?) that's another reason I have write this thread. Like I said... I'm confused lol as of now ill stick with rats since that is what I KNOW they eat.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Payara
I was curious does feeding finches increase salmonella as well or is it just poultry?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
hupababy_83
I have never heard of finches being fed as feeders. If you don't mind me asking, what do you feed finches to? I know chicken is supposed carry high levels of salmonella, that's why it's easier to catch it from our food, than it is from our reptiles. Hmmm very interesting.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
Payara
I got Bredli Carpet Python, I feed him mice and weaned rats right now and I was contemplating feeding him finches from time to time.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
hupababy_83
Nice! I wish I could more people to respond.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Snakesitter
I think it's wonderful you're investigating food options to keep your snakes healthy and happy. That said, I would keep two more subtle considerations in mind: one, changing food may lead to a finicky eater (for example, what if someone decides they *really* like some oddball offering, and starts refusing other fare); and two, being able to buy just one or two prey items in bulk keeps costs *way* down over time -- giving you more money to invest in other parts of the hobby.

I myself feed exclusively rats. You don't want to see my freezer. ;-)

I hope this helps, and best of luck--

Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
hupababy_83
It does help. Thank you. I never considers your point before!! Dinky eaters are a handful!! As for feeding just rats as of right now, so am I! Have 2dozen right next to my roast, ribs, chops and tri tip!! Lol

Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Snakesitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupababy_83 View Post
Have 2dozen right next to my roast, ribs, chops and tri tip!! Lol
This is why it always pays to look before you reach for that late midnight snack! ;-)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeders, rodents