Rude buyers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
mxracer4life
Rude buyers

Hey guys. I just wanted to talk a little about something that has been driving me crazy. How many people here deal with rude buyers? I am talking about the person that email/call about a particular item, shows interest, talks about a time or place of meeting, or shipping, then you never hear back from them. I have spent more than a normal amount of time sending emails, pictures, making phone calls and I just thinks it's rude for them to never return a call &/or email. If I am dealing with someone and I decide to back out of, it have the kahuna's to atleast let them now and apologize for taking there time. I deal with this a lot with herps, but have also experienced it with selling cars etc. Are people just getting more and more rude? Am I whining about something that isn't a big deal? I was just interested in finding out everyone else's take on this.

Jeremy

Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Tuxus
It is common in every industry and is part of doing business, yes it is unfortunate but it comes with the territory. I usually make a call and an email or 2, if no response is made then I assume they are no longer interested. To me it isn't a big deal as I always set aside time to contact customers anyway both current and former and just see it as something I will have to deal with. I have also been on the other end of it where sellers don't return emails or calls, it just makes me go elsewhere just as buyers not returning contact makes me not sell to them in the future. Not every potential customer is worth the effort.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
shrap
Unfortunately Jeremy it is something we all deal with. In time you will learn to not let it bother you as much and you will also learn to recognize such people very early in the communication process. Just remember, it is never a done deal until money has exchanged hands.

Speaking of rude. I told a guy back on December 22nd that I was done doing business for the year and that I would resume sales after the Holidays..... I get a phone call at 8:20 AM the morning after Christmas and the first thing I hear is "Well its after the Holidays, I am ready to come to your house and look at your possible het pieds to see if I want one of them".

I didnt know what was more rude... calling that early the day after xmas when he knew I was not doing business until after New Years or inviting himself to my home the day after xmas or telling me if I dont let him come to my home to inspect the animals and see how I keep my snakes that he will take his $25 elsewhere. Needless to say he had no choice but to take his $25 elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
Technically that's a rude potential buyer, since you never exchanged goods/moneys.
People are just that way. Some probably mean well, but things come up, or go wrong. Some might even have sent a explanation email or call that went awry.
But yeah, most are just self-centered, and don't think about the annoyance that they are causing. Eventually you just get used to the no-shows, cancellers, and lookie-loos.
Keep yer chin up.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I had one a few months ago write and ask me a couple dozen questions about BPs, hets, and in particular the male het pied I had for sale at the time. After I answered all his question patiently he wrote and informed me he had purchased a male het pied from someone else and wanted to know if I would send my ADULT female het pieds to him to breed with his newly purchased het pied male and we could split the clutches...............

I think I just responded "No thank you".......but thats sure NOT what I was thinking!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
darn kids these days!

It can be annoying... I just recently spent time taking new pics and sending details to someone that suddenly 'didn't have any money left' and it's not the first time it's happened. Having sold other stuff on CL or Ebay there are lookie-loos everywhere, it just seems that the reptile potential buyers tend to be a little more demanding as far as requesting lots of info or pics before backing out. Part of the territory I suppose.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
HyderHouseHerps
I get that even though I only sell goods. Usually if a customer isn't precise in their questions or what they are interested in...they aren't interested. i politely answer their Q's knowing I won't hear back from them. I am the same way when I am seriously buying/inquiring. I precisely say I am interested in blahblahblah and i have a few questions for you...
I don't really see the point in asking about a potential sale when you aren't sure you want to do that, have the money, or whatever... people are inconsiderate everywhere. Especially on the roads.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
mxracer4life
Wow, that is a little rude Shrap. I don't let it get to me too much, I was just a little curious of how everyone else felt about the matter. The part that really gets me is when someone DOES back out, they never let you know, they just never email/call back. I have had people call about a car I have forsale, get me out of bed, drive all the way to town (20 minutes) and they never show up, never answer a call back or anything. But I do get over it. I don't sell enough herps to really see how all the people are on here, but from what I can tell, I have had about 11 people contact me about a BCI and set something up then I never here from them.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
HyderHouseHerps
It's also interesting that the more expensive the item is, the MORE non responsive potential buyers you get!! Not that the price matters, the commodity is what draws them in without thinking about the price tag.

I kinda feel like if a seller is actually communicating and trying to accomodate me I would rather buy from that person. Not saying you have to be pushy but when you reply to ads or leave messages, maybe you should throw the ball back in their court with something like "let me know what you think so we can accomodate you. or get back to me when you get a chance and let me know if we can work something out...
I always drop this at the end: Hope to hear from you soon, or
Talk to you soon,

Old 01-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
I just keep track of those ones, and if they come around later, I tell them I ain't interested in selling to them. You can't stop them from coming, but you can stop them from wasting a lot of your future time and effort.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!