Help with heating Vision 221 Cage and Channel Grooves - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Omnivorous
Help with heating Vision 221 Cage and Channel Grooves

I recently got a Vision 221 Cage, its about 29"x24"x12". I am interested in heating an area aproximately 10"x22" to make the left 1/3 of the cage the hot side. I will be houseing some leopard geckos in it and lighting is not needed or desired for heat. The substrate will be a small layer of sand on top of wich I will place cut tiles. The problem is to heat the sized area I want those Vision cages have those channels or grooves running through the bottom and top to aide in stacking them. UTH would wind up getting bent trying to cover those channels, I dont know if flexwatt can take the 45 degree bends necessary to heat the area the chanels are in. I dont really want to have a 2" wide gap in the hot side but I guess I could get some cut flexwatt and put a small strip on the other side of the chanell. Anyone know if I can just bend the flexwatt 45 degrees witout causeing a hazard that way I can heat everything and stack my cages? Suggestions? Otherwise I would have a hot zone thats 7.75"x22" and I would preferr it a little bigger.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Tim Cole
Attach a UTH to the underside of ceramic tile. Cut off the plug and run the plug through a small hole drilled for the plug wire diameter. Attach an aftermarket plug. This unit can be used inside the cage.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
TheFragginDragon
I use the 11" flexwatt with my 221's, but I have it aluminum-taped to the center of the bottom of the cages instead of the sides. The cages are stacked, and I have yet to have a problem with this set up. About 1" of the outer edges of the flexwatt does overlap those channels, but the plastic coating is handling that bend without crimping or cracking.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
FrankTheTank148
hey Tim Cole, I was thinking about doing that… is that safe to do?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!