REALLY worried about my female - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Shea<3Leo
Unhappy REALLY worried about my female

i had gotten her from a woman on reptibid, she was fine, for the id say first three weeks she ate fine, calcium and all, andshe has started slowly loosing tale fat and not eating,

I am really! worried about her, and i was curious if anyone might no why she isnt eating, I know my old one did it when she was in heat, but she never tail wsnt ever that small

Old 10-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
aliceinwl
Parasites would be a good bet. Sometimes if they've got an infection that they're handling and they will look fine. Then when subjected to all the stress of being shipped and having to adjust to a new home, they're less able to fight off the parasites and the infection gets out of control. Getting a fecal done would be a good first move.

-Alice

Old 10-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
aliceinwl
In the mean time, make sure she has no contact with your other leo. Don't offer her uneaten food to your healthy leo and wash your hands after touching her or anything in her enclosure before you handle your feeders, your other leo or anything in your other leo's cage.

-Alice

Old 10-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
Temperature can be a huge issue too, make sure the hot side belly heat is at 90, when it drops even as low as 85 I have seen mine slow down eating. I had one piece of heat tape stop working, the connections had come lose somehow and they way I noticed it was the slowed eating of that bin, I checked the temp and it was down to 83. I took that pice out, redid the connections and once it was back up to 90 they went back to being chow houds very quickly.

Impaction can be a problem too, is she on sand? If so, swtich over to paper towels and give her a few drops of olive or mineral oil a day to help possiblypass the imaction.

If the temps are correct and there is no sand, Id go with Alice and say possible parasites or infection of some kind and you will need a fecal done to find out what it is and how to treat it.

Old 10-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Shea<3Leo
Well she is on sand, i know its not good but I have used the very very fine grade of it and none of my leos have ever had problems the female she is with is eating fine and so are the juvies, I h checked the temps
the only thing i am worried about is a good herp vet

there hasnt been any signs of GOOD herp vets

my old female she had an egg block
and e was drawing blood and allsorts of things(caused her tail drop)
she ended up dying from it
so im in the proscess now

anyone know of any in MD??

Old 10-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Ross Payan - LA
Rapid weight loss usually means parasites/infection... A healthy adult leo can go months without eating and lose almost no weight. Is there a university near you? I'm lucky enough to be near Texas A&M, which has an awesome vet program. They have even offered free services in the past if I allowed the students to tour my "facility".

Old 10-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
Shea<3Leo
eh, no not that I know of

I REALLY dont want to take her to someone who dosnt know what they are doing and have her end up like my other on who died at only 10

Old 10-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Ross Payan - LA
Most vets should be able to ID most parasitic problems via fecal float and/or smear... Just don't let them do anything that you know is wrong... no blood drawing or shots in the tail, etc.

In the meantime:

How are the stools looking?

Is she currently pooping?

How long ago did she stop eating?

Did she vomit her last meal(s) before she stopped eating?

Anything at all strange happen that could give us something to go on?

Old 10-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
Ross Payan - LA
Also... have you checked to see if she is gravid? The could be producing eggs without breeding, perhaps a long shot, but you never know.

It's very important to make sure you are keeping her hydrated for now.

Old 10-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
Tears_and_Fangs
Ah...I feel for you, Shealyn. I had what appeared to be a healthy lively little leo (who ate fine and everything), who turned out to be a not-so-healthy little leo, and died about a week later.

I wish you the best of luck with your leo with all my heart...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!