Spotted python 4-month old not eating ...... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
denman
Spotted python 4-month old not eating ......

I received a 4-month old male Spotted python on November 30th. To date he has only eaten 1 meal for me. I offer him f/t pinkies. I just tried two nights in a row, and he has refused to eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this little guy to eat?

Old 12-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
Herpin Man
First- did the breeder tell you how he was keeping and feeding it?
Without knowing exactly how you’re keeping it, and what your feeding technique is, one can only guess as to what the problem could be, so here are my guesses as to what might work. First, crank up the heat. A warm end of 95f is not too hot. Second, tease the snake with the rodent, using a pair of tongs. Jiggle it in front of him, press it to his nose, and rub it along his neck. Do all of this without handling or disturbing him first.
If you can provide some details as to what you’re currently doing, perhaps that would lead to additional clues.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
denman
The Breeder was feeding him live pinkies. Breeders are able to do that. Most hobbyists are not. However, he has eaten f/t for me. Once. He is in a glass 10-gallon aquarium. Heat is provided by a UTH and a hood lamp above. Mesh top is half-way covered with Aluminum heat tape to maintain Humidity. Hood lamp is on a dimmer. All are on thermostats.
I've tried the "dangling" the pinkie in front of him - it frightened him. I contacted the Breeder and he suggested to just put the pinkie in his hide and leave it there over night. He did eat. However, he has not eaten since, and that was 2-weeks ago. The lamp is above his one hide (he has 2). I have UTH, Heat Lamp, thermostats, Heat Gun. Warm side, cool side. Humidity is 60%. I have another Email out to the Breeder.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Herpin Man
I work with the closely related Stimson's pythons. The hatchlings can be difficult to start, because they don't always recognize the rodents as prey. They're looking for lizards. At four months old, your snake knows that mice are food. That's more than half the battle, in my opinion. When I have one that is difficult to start, here's what I do:

- I increase the temperature, and persistently tease-feed, as I described above.
- If that doesn't work, I try live pinkies. It sounds like you'll have to do this with f/t. Rinse the pinky off in warm water, to remove some of the rodent scent. Make sure it is warm, use a heat lamp if needed. Dip the head of the rodent in egg yolk, OR cut the skull open to expose the brains. Sometimes one works better than the other.
- Take a deli cup, and put a piece of paper towel on the bottom. This is to soak up any liquid ooze. Put the pinky and the snake into the deli cup.
- Place them in a warm part of the enclosure, and leave it overnight. Be aware of the temps; do not cook your snake!
- The snake is likely to eat within the hour, although some wait until the following morning. Some require several attempts.

Good luck. Once it starts eating, it is likely to eat heavily and grow quickly. This is not one of those species that you should try to "slow grow".

Old 12-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
denman
Ok, yes, the breeder informed me that the pinkie needs to be quite warm prior to feeding. And inserting a pin thru the head is also supposed to help. I will attempt your recommendations and try again. This little guy has to eat. I've looked at him just now and No, he is not showing signs of beginning a shed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!