LIASIS FUSCUS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
kellysballs
LIASIS FUSCUS

Hello every one,
I am aquiring a young Australian Water Python this weekend. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them or if you can point me to a web site. I have found some of the basics like temps and humidity, but only from one source.
http://www.smuggled.com/auspyt3.htm

This is the only thing I could find.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
fuscusking13
Kelly, these are my favorite snakes of all time(in case you cant tell by my name lol). Out of curiousity where are you getting yours from? They are one of the most interesting interactive snakes you will ever work with. They are as interested in you as you are in them. As babies they can be , but they grow out of it after a year or so. As babies they are very cage aggressive, but calm down once out, and once they are adults they are usually as calm as can be. My adults were great eaters, and great pets, and never did I get a nasty feed response from them, they always knew the difference. My baby male only ever bit me once and the adults never even tried. I unfortunately sold them when I got rid of my collection, but they bred and my former female laid eggs on March 12th, so the babies are on their way soon. I get a pair out of the deal and cant wait to get them. I miss the personality(not that my retics dont have their own, but the waters are so much cooler). I'll attach pics of my former reverse trio. If you ever have any question on these I would be glad to help you out, and I know people who breed them that could help you out as well if you ever have breeding questions. I also have a great book about Aussie pythons that really gave me a lot of insight on the species, I will check who its by and let you know in case you want to pick it up. I got it from Larry(MD Reptile farm) at the MD show when I bought my little male back in may of 05. Good luck and cant wait to see some pics!!!! Dan M.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
kellysballs
They are beautiful. I am getting mine from Chris of Endless Reptiles. I have purchased balls from him before. He gets his snakes from a variety of sources so I am not sure where this one came from originally however I will find out this weekend. He is very cage aggressive however he is small and I am not afraid to be nipped. I originally wanted olive pythons but I love the yellow on the belly of these guys. I do want to get a pair of the water pythons and the olives eventually. I don't even know the sex of the little guy/girl that I am getting. I would love to have the name and author of the book you mentioned. Once I find out if I have a girl or boy I will contact you about getting a mate.
Do you have a caresheet available or is the info I found on the above web site accurate?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
fuscusking13
I found them to be really easy keepers. Mine were on newspaper with a water bowl(although I gave the baby a hide for the first 7 or 8 months until he stopped using it. I kept them in the low eighties at night and mid to high eighties during the day. I found that they dont like it hot, they thrive a little cooler than a lot of other pythons, and none of mine ever caught an RI, although when I bought my adult male he was sick as could be. I set him up like described above and he kicked severe resp in less than 3 weeks without any interference on my part, and was eating by then as well, and boy do they like to eat. You couldnt feed my female enough, what a pig, she would eat 4 or 5 small/med rats at a time if you'd let her. All mine also had full sheds everytime, I still have a bag of sheds from them alone in the closet, since I always keep any full ones that werent violated in/on. I dont breed them myself(although I will in the future). Sadly due to the lack of morphs, people arent interested in them(I am glad there are no morphs, since they are beautiful as they are). Its their loss they are amazing animals. As far as getting nipped goes the bite is a joke, but they do have long teeth when they get older, but no worse than some other species out there. They may seem flighty, but they arent, just restless(in like the A.D.D. sense) when out. Mine loved the outdoors and loved to climb if given the chance. I dont recommend letting them explore in areas where they can get into anything though, because they will find it. I feel that they are a fairly intelligent species among snakes, and learn very quickly, especially once they are comfortable with you. No snakes "enjoy" handling, but this species is as close as it comes, they love to come out of their cage, and truck around, although mine didnt move very much while in their cage at all. They dont require a lot of space, and you are going to really enjoy him/her more and more as he/she grows. Goodluck, and I hope this info is helpful to you. On the subject of the info you found, its fairly dated, but fairly accurate as well. The would most likely thrive in a rack setup, I know mine did. Take care, Dan M.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
kellysballs
Again thanks so much for your info. I may contact you to pick your brain at some point

I welcome knowledge from anyone so if anybody can add anything I would appreciate it.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
fuscusking13
Absolutely no problem, I get excited to see new people get into these guys. I dont know how much brain I have to pick, but its yours anytime. Later, Dan M.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
kellysballs
Okay this is for anyone else who needs a care sheet for these guys.
http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=54

I think if more people had access to info on the different species available more people would own these beautiful snakes. Now I just need to go pick the little guy up!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
fuscusking13
IM SORRY!!!

I completely forgot I promised to get you the info on that book. It is : Pythons of Australia: A natural History by Geordie Torr. It is a great reference and includes so much about so many aussie species. It gives you more info than you need, its that good. Just so that it isnt only my opinion, I searched the book and came up with this: http://www.arav.org/Journals/JA018156.htm

If I didnt like the book so much I would give it to you, but its such a great reference that I dont think I could part with it. Good luck, and let us know what you think of him/her when it comes in!!!!! Dan M.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
The Nothing
you'll find a lot more info if you search for Macklots Python
they're fairly common

Old 04-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
fuscusking13
Yeah, but they are a bit different in their ideal requirements and a lot different habit wise in the wild. Also the waters tend to be a bit tamer in my experiance, even in the wild from what I hear. Also the waters are soooo much nicer looking(thats strictly opinion, but its true none the less lol). Dan M.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!