Wanted Juvinile/Adult Eastern Box Turtle - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 03-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Bekki_loves_turtles
Exclamation Juvinile/Adult Eastern Box Turtle

Looking for an Eastern box turtle, preferably a male, but will take a female
I can only own one eastern box turtle in my state, must be captive bred.

http://www.neherp.com/regulations/connecticut/ for proof that im NOT lying when i say i can own ONE eastern box turtle.
  Contact User Check User
Old 03-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
PStein80
Becky - I wouldn't go by what that page says. Some of the information there is out of date.

For instance: there is no mention of Diamondback Terrapains, or Northern Diamondback Terrapins, which used to have a collection limit of 5. They are no longer allowed to be captured. Wood Turtles and Box Turtles used to be one each, and I believe that has changed. Also, Spotteds are now on the list.

You might want to check with CT DEEP. I live in CT also, and I can tell you that many of the people who work in that office don't know their own rules. Would hate to see you have an issue due to a misunderstanding. And trust me on this, I have been dealing with them for decades.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
smy_749
I think the current rule is you can own exactly one if it was captive bred AND grandfathered in. One of the folks at theturtleroom is in CT and Im fairly confident he'd be able to answer your question but I think Pat is right, the info there is dated.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Bekki_loves_turtles
I understand that but when Garden State Tortoise also emails me and tells me I can own one and people still think I'm lying since I can't post my emails, gets kind of irritating. That site says it was last updated in 2016. It must be a captive bred and I'd need a receipt as proof it wasn't taken from the wild
  Contact User Check User
Old 03-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
PStein80
CT has never had "grandfathered" clauses in any reptile laws. If they allowed that, everyone would say what they had was captive bred, anyway. Yes, the fellow at The Turtle Room in CT is Anthony Pierlioni, and he and I have talked about our state's arcane laws.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
PStein80
Bekki - the issue is that the State of CT patrols as they see fit. The are either covering how they wish to handle issues by being purposely vague, or they really aren't that certain about their own laws. Some of them make no sense.

I know the owner of Garden State Tortoise well, and he's a super guy. I am not disagreeing with him, but the link you are posting is from New England Herpetological. I think if you read our state's own pages, you will understand why it is completely confusing. And I promise you that you cannot find the words "captive bred" or grandfathered" on there. If you do, I would love to find that I am wrong.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
CaptainSpaulding
Yeah the information on the NEHS site is outdated, unfortunately. The 2016 on the bottom of the page is simply a footer that is on every page on their site. It doesn't mean that information has been checked.

I still thought the possession limit for Terrapene carolina in CT was still one, though (Which is so dumb it boggles my mind). Do you know where it says otherwise, specifically for that species, Pete? I might have to go back and check, myself. I noticed the recent coverage of Clemmys guttata as a species of special concern, when I was leafing through the site, one day. It would have been nice to see a press release or something. I know when laws in Iowa are simply proposed, but don't know when a law in my own state is changed until I stumble upon it while navigating their site myself.

Such a pleasure sharing a thread on fauna with a bunch of CT people! When's the last time that happened!?

Anthony

Old 03-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
PStein80
Bekki -

Here is the current rule from the State of CT's website. Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise is correct - you are still allowed to own one Eastern Box, if it hasn't been collected from the wild in CT:

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&q=325828

So show this to anyone who thinks they know better!

-Peter

Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
smy_749
Good to know. Thanks for the info guys. Didn't mean to hint that anyone was a liar if thats how it seemed. Not sure what possible reasoning they could have for limiting ownership to one cbb animal, strange.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #10
Bekki_loves_turtles
Thank you for the link. I'll be sure to use it for future reference. I'm just having so much trouble finding an older turtle. Someone said "take it from the wild" believe me if it was legal i would cause I go to a nesting ground every summer, but it's illegal and I definitely wouldn't want a wild one. I'd feel bad.
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
box turtle, tortoise, turtle