Rat colony question. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
Randall Turner
Rat colony question.

So I've had the rat colony for a little bit now. (some bumpy roads but mostly smooth going knock on wood).

I've reached a point I need to move some weaned rats but I don't have an empty tub slot. What is the general practice on moving weaned? I have a slot that is housing smalls (around 12 to 14 of them) that are being grown up for feeders. Would it be acceptable to move the weaned into this tub? Or would it be risky since the size difference. I know a while back one of my feeder suppliers used a metal horse trough as his growout housing and he had sizes ranging from medium down to weaned in it, but it was so huge and populated I didn't imagine it would fall into the same area as housing multiple litters of varying sizes in an ARS 70 tub.

I appreciate any input that can be provided. I definitely want this colony to go well.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
snowgyre
Rats don't tend to be as cannibalistic as mice, I've successfully housed weans and smalls together temporarily. The big thing is to make sure the weans can access the food and water, if they're freshly weaned they still may be a little too small to reach some things and clumsy about it.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
Randall Turner
Thank you for the info. I'll make sure they're capable of reaching the food.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!