Does the Ball Python industry have a future? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #41
Randy F
There was one big breeder I know that had 200 bananas while the price was still way up. He waited until it came down to sell all of his. I predicted the price drop on these while Jon Levey still had one listed for $50k as a "male maker" which I never bought into. It was a guy in Ney York that has very cheap prices that did the banana in and in return all other morphs. The big guys sell all over the world and are smart enough not to crap in their playground. This is what they do for a living to feed their families, not extra money to make up for their lack of character. It's not the guy that buys a group of snakes for the one or two he wants and sells the rest. It's the guy that see's someone selling their collection and can lowball them for 25cents on the dollar but take them all. He then screws everyone by selling them at half price to make a quick buck. Not only is this person hurting the hobby and then will walk away and do it to another, he is hurting the well being of the animals. How many collections can you buy and throw them all together before getting a bad virus and spreading it. Wait, they have the morals to quarantine them right? Yeah, for about 10 minutes while they put ads for them up. Big breeders do have things they do because they are businessmen, but not killing their own industry.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #42
CombatWombat
Speaking of Bananas...
What is the real difference between a coral glow and a banana anyway?
I thought a coral glow included the ink spots but I've seen bananas with those spots too.
Except Coral Glows are much more expensive.

Sorry, this has just been bothering me.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #43
John kimball
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatWombat View Post
Speaking of Bananas...
I thought a coral glow included the ink spots but I've seen bananas with those spots too.

Great question! They both have spots. My "coral glow" was sold as such but idk. On worldofballpythons pics it looks like cg's wash out more and Banana's hold their colors a lil beter. If it is separate but similar it's like butter/lesser/mojave/yb complex.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #44
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Speaking of Bananas...

They're exactly the same. Apparently two guys "discovered" them at the same time, one named them coral glows and one named them bananas. There are bound to be some minor differences from snake to snake but as far as the morph is concerned it's identical.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #45
CombatWombat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
They're exactly the same. Apparently two guys "discovered" them at the same time, one named them coral glows and one named them bananas. There are bound to be some minor differences from snake to snake but as far as the morph is concerned it's identical.
That's what I was started to come to the conclusion of.
Then it should be defined lines...or am I just crazy to think that.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #46
John kimball
Quote:
That's kinda what I figured. I have a feeling many different "lines" are exactly the same gene. Just discovered at different times. Kinda interesting how bhb scaleless heads, the WHS unproven line scaleless and the microscale all get discovered within a year or two. The microscale definitely is different it seems but it's still pretty weird.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #47
Big Borg Reptiles
Markus Jayne (probably the only big breeder I believe about anything) also thinks that butters and lessers are identical. He said he's worked with enough to say that he honestly believes them to be the same. Considering there isn't a single example of a butter combo that looks different than a lesser combo, I'm inclined to agree. Most morphs that are similar there will be SOMETHING to set them apart (think mystic x mojave versus mystic x lesser), but I've seen nothing to make me think butters or lessers are separate.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #48
CombatWombat
But if we're talking Supers when it comes to Lessers and Butters being the same. Both produce the BEL but those cannot produce Het. BELs

Then how do we get a Russo Leucistic...basically a BEL which can become Het.

Sorry this just fascinates me

Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #49
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
That's what I was started to come to the conclusion of.
Then it should be defined lines...or am I just crazy to think that.
I think the whole "male maker" thing kind of puts a damper on that. Since you can't backbreed a male to a male (unless someone has discovered something I don't know about lol), they can't really put their label on it. Every female you breed the male to is going to pop out babies a little bit different, so I think you end up with some distortion.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #50
CombatWombat
Quote:
I think the whole "male maker" thing kind of puts a damper on that. .
Very true, I hadn't considered that seeing it is a co-dom.
Totally had a "duh" moment

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!