Jeweled Lacerta not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
Juice247
Jeweled Lacerta not eating

We've had Rudania for a little over 2 years now, since she was only a few weeks old. She has been an incredibly consistent and wonderful pet. She eats 6 days a week, she sheds every couple months, she is active and curious but never aggressive. The past 3.5 weeks though have been a different story. She has not eaten although we've offered her a variety of bugs, fruits and veggies. She wants to be out of her enclosure constantly and when she's out, she's always searching and hunting. She aggressively humps one green blanket and one blue pillow in particular, latching onto it with her jaws. She has never exhibited this behavior in the past. Her actions resemble those of a male trying to mate, but we are pretty confident she is female comparing traits at the base of her tail to a guide found online.

Link : Lacerta Research Paper

Although it's been 3.5 weeks since she's eaten, she is not lethargic, her eyes are bright, she is active and not otherwise behaving in any manner that would indicate she's sick. She drinks water daily. I just have no gauge as to how long this activity will last, or how long it will be before we should expect her to eat. Any insights would be amazingly helpful. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #2
Machs70
You have a male there, males heads are alot larger then females and the spores on the back legs are much more big and protruding as in yours. I have had them for over ten years and they go for months in the winter without eating, they with hibernate or bromate at this time.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
Juice247
If he's a male, the blanket humping would make more sense then! I would have thought though they would be less active when not eating. He's way more active this past month than ever. Out at 7am up til 10:30pm. (usually 7:30am to 9:30pm) Always wanting to be out and about. Rearranging everything in the cage.

Is that normal? I understood brumation to be more a period of less activity, not more. His temperament is great though! Never was a couch companion til now!

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-08-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
Machs70
I turn off all heat and lights from Thanksgiving to March and keep them in my basement which is the coolest area in my house. I leave a water dish and food in a bowl so they have it if they want but they usually don’t eat.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #5
WebSlave
Not that I know anything about this species, but his actions seem obvious to me. He is looking for a mate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!